Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When did your kid learn to dress him/herself?

Posted by   + Show Post
My DD started putting forth a good effort around the time that she was two. She was very independent and would insist on doing it by herself.

My DS is 2 and 5 mos and is just beginning to assert his independence and try it himself. Moreso than getting dressed, he wants to undress. DD was the opposite and wanted to dress herself before she attempted to learn to undress herself.

I'm just looking for an average age range and of the child attempted to dress or undress him/herself first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Replies (141-150):
LuLuThatsWho
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM

My older son is four and has been dressing himself since he was about two and a half.  My little one is 23 months old, and he expresses a desire to wear a specific article of clothing sometimes, but he does not yet dress himself at all.

uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM
I am not meaning to be rude but at home that would be okay, but to send your dd out in public like that is not...

My dd was picking out her own clothes at the age of three and her outfits matched, and so did her socks, shoes and hair things... she is six now, and she still match when she goes out... I wouldn't even send my two year old out in something like that

Quoting Karen_S:

DD may end up a stripper, because she could take off just about any clothes way before 2. That girl can get nekkid like nobody's business :-)

I think it was a little over 2 that she started wanting to try to dress herself. Whether she needed help depended on the kind of clothes...if it was all stretchy stuff she could pull on, she was great, but buttons and zippers and small snaps took longer.

She's now 5, and proudly dresses herself every morning, including picking her clothes.  Last Friday, she chose a short magnenta and white flowered dress, light blue and white flowered shorts (a different floral pattern) and a pink and purple striped sweatshirt. Seriously.  I figure as long as it is weather-appropriate, it's her body and she can choose...though I can't help making some suggestions about things that go together...usually ignored.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambernicole531
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM

my daughter will be 2 in Feb, and can put on panties, pants, her brothers bigger socks, and her shoes.....not always correctly

My youngest boy is 5, still needs help, but he is special needs. Has trouble coordinating movements.

My oldset boys were probably around 3 when I could hand them their clothes and they would dress....

iluvmykids32012
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM
My baby girl started when she was about 1 1/2 yrs old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM
2 moms liked this

My daughter has been very vocal about what she wants to wear since a few months before 2. She has better fashion sense then I do

mss119
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:37 PM

My older daughter started trying when she was almost 3, didn't get very good or consistent with it until around her fourth birthday.  My younger daughter started trying around her second birthday, she's not quite 2.5 and still isn't very good, but she likes to pull her pants up and put her shoes on, lol.

Queen_Bree
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:48 PM

my kids were undressing at about age 2. They could dress themselves when they were three with the exception of buttons and tying shoes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:01 AM
How old were your kids when they started zipping and snapping?
Gwynyth
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM

DD was 2 1/2 when she was dressing ( with help ) and undressing started earlier.

Gwynyth
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

How old were your kids when they started zipping and snapping?

My 3 yr old zips up her coat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)