Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When did your kid learn to dress him/herself?

Posted by   + Show Post
My DD started putting forth a good effort around the time that she was two. She was very independent and would insist on doing it by herself.

My DS is 2 and 5 mos and is just beginning to assert his independence and try it himself. Moreso than getting dressed, he wants to undress. DD was the opposite and wanted to dress herself before she attempted to learn to undress herself.

I'm just looking for an average age range and of the child attempted to dress or undress him/herself first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Replies (161-165):
BambiF
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:29 AM

getting dressed that is ^
she started taking her clothes off before she was 2.  My son is 12 months and takes his pants and socks off afew times a day.

SevenKisses
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:35 AM

DS can do very little. He is 3.

JennPearce
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Ds was 4. I'm sure he could have done it sooner but I just wanted to get it done lol! He was doing his own pjs at 3 but he needed help with buttoning shirts & jeans up until 4.
Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I have a granddaughtger who is 8 now and going on 9.  She was undressing from birth I think.  She would rather be free from clothing.  She certainly started dressing herself as well though the parents were trying to keep her in clothes at first.    She still chooses her own clothes and only sometimes does Mom send her back to wear something else, more so because tummy shows or sometrhing like that or doesn't have on socks rather than for colors as her mom let's her get away with her own colors. 

I had a foster child and really had to work on her dressing but that was because she was locked up in a playpen before I got her.  I don't think there is a "normal"  or "abnormal" for kids but just a range as they have their own timetable.

Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. She thinks she looks beautiful, and she's proud of dressing herself, and I'm not going to tell her otherwise.  She's clean and dressed appropriately for the weather. I couldn't care less what other people think of her color choices. I give her suggestions to help her learn, but I don't make her change when she's in love with an outfit. She'll get old enough to care about being stylish all too soon...let her be little and have fun with bright colors for a while.

I think this world would be a whole lot better of a place if we all cared less, and judged less, about appearances, and spent more time teaching our kids about the things that matter. I just don't put matching accessories high on my list of important values for a 5 year old.  

Quoting uriahadel:

I am not meaning to be rude but at home that would be okay, but to send your dd out in public like that is not...

My dd was picking out her own clothes at the age of three and her outfits matched, and so did her socks, shoes and hair things... she is six now, and she still match when she goes out... I wouldn't even send my two year old out in something like that

Quoting Karen_S:

DD may end up a stripper, because she could take off just about any clothes way before 2. That girl can get nekkid like nobody's business :-)

I think it was a little over 2 that she started wanting to try to dress herself. Whether she needed help depended on the kind of clothes...if it was all stretchy stuff she could pull on, she was great, but buttons and zippers and small snaps took longer.

She's now 5, and proudly dresses herself every morning, including picking her clothes.  Last Friday, she chose a short magnenta and white flowered dress, light blue and white flowered shorts (a different floral pattern) and a pink and purple striped sweatshirt. Seriously.  I figure as long as it is weather-appropriate, it's her body and she can choose...though I can't help making some suggestions about things that go together...usually ignored.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN