Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When did your kid learn to dress him/herself?

Posted by   + Show Post
My DD started putting forth a good effort around the time that she was two. She was very independent and would insist on doing it by herself.

My DS is 2 and 5 mos and is just beginning to assert his independence and try it himself. Moreso than getting dressed, he wants to undress. DD was the opposite and wanted to dress herself before she attempted to learn to undress herself.

I'm just looking for an average age range and of the child attempted to dress or undress him/herself first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:24 AM
I couldn't imagine still dressing my 5 year old unless she was special needs. She gets up gets dressed for school, eats breakfast, and brushes her hair/teeth on her own. The only thing I do is cook the breakfast .
A_McCool
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM

My younger daughter has been undressing herself since she was about a year old.  The child despises clothing.  She just turned 3 and can dress herself; she started trying around 2, but she was not quite able to pull it off.  My older daughter started undressing herself around 2, but she could not dress herself unassisted until she was around 4.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM

My older kids were around 3 1/2. My youngest has been picking her clothes and getting dressed and undressed since 2 1/2. She is going through a phase now where she isn't wanting to again at a little over 3.

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:39 AM

She could 95% dress herself at 2 but had trouble with snaps and buttons. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Completely able to dress and undress themselves they were around 3.

alwayskk
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Libby was 1 when she started. Not kidding!

Sebastian just turned 4 and is only now starting to be independent like that.

fitnessdanielle
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM

My little boy I think was about 3. He's 7 now though and such a pain in the mornings.. His clothes have to be warmed up in the dryer and I still dress him while he's partially asleep, but he's wide awake and fussing if I try to put room temperature jeans on him..

My baby girl was probably 2, but she thinks she's a fashionista and during the summer she tried to wear ensembles like a dress pulled down like a skirt, and a bikini top for a shirt because she thought it made her look like the little mermaid..

See what I mean? So yeah I end up dressing both of them during the week because I'm not letting her go out of the house like this.

Queen_Sheila
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I think my older son was two or three, he's seven now, where does the time go?

CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Around 2ish for my son.

OkieMommyOf6
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM

my son will be 2 dec 22nd and he knows how to take all his clothes off all too well. he likes to put on his sisters shirts and sometimes panties but he hasnt exactly fully dressed himself up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)