Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did your kid learn to dress him/herself?

Posted by   + Show Post
My DD started putting forth a good effort around the time that she was two. She was very independent and would insist on doing it by herself.

My DS is 2 and 5 mos and is just beginning to assert his independence and try it himself. Moreso than getting dressed, he wants to undress. DD was the opposite and wanted to dress herself before she attempted to learn to undress herself.

I'm just looking for an average age range and of the child attempted to dress or undress him/herself first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Replies (31-40):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

My son is was excited to do it at 3 but then the novelty of it being something new to learn wore off and he stopped. Now he is almost five and pretty much does it himself. We pick his school clothes out together. 

UrbanSoccerMom
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM

it varies from kid to kid... I'd say by the end of their first year of preschool they should be able to put things on... even if they are backwards or on the wrong feet.

My son who has autism was able to by 5... and he is about two years behind. However, teaching kindergarten, it isn't unusual to see kids who have trouble with buttons or tying shoes then.

Jess0915
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM

My girls all seem to want to dress themselves, and undress themselves, around 15-18 months. My DD2 turned 2 in Sept and she is a pro, lol. She can dress herself, even jeans or tights, put her shoes on and her coat. The downside is she'll dress herself and undress herself and then put something else on. Some days she does this 3 or 4 times. :\

My son was about 2 when he started dressing himself, but he was very picky and would get frustrated if he couldn't do it right quickly. He was probably about 2.5 when he was able to dress himself with no help. The girls definitely got the hang of it younger.

athompson2189
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM

my daughter is 4 and can dress from the waist down, shoes and all.....but when it comes to pulling that shirt over her head, she just dont want to do it. lol cracks me up when she walks up with the shirt pulled half way on and she can't get the concept of the rest.

masonsmommy107
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM

ds was about 3 when started trying to do it his self and fully unassisted at 4 he's six now all i do is pick out his outfit

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Mine were nearly two.

MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM
My daughter was 5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babiegurl47
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM
3 for the outfits to really match. As far as putting the clothes on, 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM
My 4.5 year old is just starting to try to dress himself, my 2.5 year old has been trying for a few months but still needs help (both boys). My 13 month old already knows how to undress and is attempting to dress herself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Around 18,19 mos . If there were buttons or snaps she needed help. Since she could talk she has had an opinion about what she wants to wear lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured