Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When did your kid learn to dress him/herself?

Posted by   + Show Post
My DD started putting forth a good effort around the time that she was two. She was very independent and would insist on doing it by herself.

My DS is 2 and 5 mos and is just beginning to assert his independence and try it himself. Moreso than getting dressed, he wants to undress. DD was the opposite and wanted to dress herself before she attempted to learn to undress herself.

I'm just looking for an average age range and of the child attempted to dress or undress him/herself first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Replies (41-50):
ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM
My oldest could fully dress and undress including socks and shoes at 3.

My youngest is almost 4 and can finally do shirts and pants but struggles with socks and shoes. He has a small motor skills delay though. Plus he's hard headed and thinks I should do it for him lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
torttia
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

My DS was 3 when he really got into it. He started doing his shoes and pants when he was a little over 2 because I was pregnant lol. I think boys take longer to WANT to do things for themselves.

aarensmommy
by New Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

ds1 could dress an undress by 3 with littl to no help ds2 is 2.5 an can undress but not dress

jaydensmom1726
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

my son could undress at about  18mos and could do a shirt at about 2 but he has issues with pants and socks. he has a few times got a pair of sleep pants on inside out  over whatever he had on. but i think that was a fluke.he just turned 3 and still cant dress himself. but he also is has a moderate developmental delay 

so the fact that he can do the stuff he does is pretty impressive. developmentally he is only about 16mos

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:38 AM

My son started at 3 and now 4 can dress all by himself.

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

dd was about 2 when she started to dress herself.  she need a bit of help with taking her shirts off and putting her socks on but other than that, she did most of it herself.

Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM

My oldest didnt care and it wasnt until she was about 4 or 5 she would dress herself,  DS learned to undress himself very early but hates getting dressed and always has ( this is a problem at 13 lol).  My youngest was dressing herself as young at 18 months.   She loves to dress up

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM

my 3 1/2yo has been able to undress himself for over a year now, and just barely is he taking the initiative to put the clothes on himself. He's been able to for a while but I dont push him. 

My 1 1/2 yo on the other hand. She's been undressing herself for months now, and  will make a decent attempt to get them back on too, LOL... She's a clothes snob, if she doesnt like what I put on her she will get undressed and pick herself something out in exchange.... 

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM

my youngest started to "undress" at around 18 months I think.. give or take a few months.. and started to "dress" aorund the same time..

she still doesn't FULLY have the knack for getting dressed... (her shirts normally end up with her arms through the neck hole and it looks like a tube top with tenticles! lol.)  But she can undress now completely unaided... she's 23 months now.

My oldest was about the same.

adulation
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM

she started putting on her own clothes a little bit before she was 2, but like, just a big t shirt. i still helped her, of course.  a few months later she was WANTING to put her own clothes on but would still need my help sometimes.  Now she is 5 and doesn't want me in the room while she's getting dressed!!  she's like "go outside the room and come back and I will be dressed".

*sigh*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)