Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

working doesn't always mean extra money

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 114 Replies
I always see people suggest sahms get jobs for extra money once their kids are in school. If I got even a part time job it would push us up back tax bracket and cost us more in taxes. No, thanks.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamatoKy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Not necessarily, unless you are already on the verge of hitting a higher tax bracket.

Sahm's should get a part time gig or something once all their children are in school. Not saying go out and work 40 hours a week, but like 15 or 20 hours save the money and use it for the kids. kwim?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM
But not every couple desires that and that should be their decision.

Quoting MamatoKy:

Not necessarily, unless you are already on the verge of hitting a higher tax bracket.

Sahm's should get a part time gig or something once all their children are in school. Not saying go out and work 40 hours a week, but like 15 or 20 hours save the money and use it for the kids. kwim?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Its true if you also factor in gas to get to work and possible after school care depending on the hours.
alwayskk
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Well, if they NEED extra money, then they need to find a way to get it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Quoting MamatoKy:

did you read a word I write? Even a part time job would push us up. Why should they go to work to save money for the kids?
mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Not necessarily. If you claim 0 on your taxes and have more taken out it should be fine. Still more money than you're making just sitting at home.
Kitschy
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:05 AM
I wouldn't work part time because my area of expertise is sales. Between gas, clothing, hair it wouldn't be worth my time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Quoting alwayskk:

who says they need the money? Not everyone needs their spouse to work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Quoting mommy74146:

Not necessarily. If you claim 0 on your taxes and have more taken out it should be fine. Still more money than you're making just sitting at home.

says who. We claim 0 and would still be pushed up a bracket. Why should I waste time and effort for money not needed.
alwayskk
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting alwayskk:

who says they need the money? Not everyone needs their spouse to work.

I can't imagine suggesting to someone to get a job in order to make money if they didn't actually need or want money.

However, that is why I included the word IF.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)