Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

working doesn't always mean extra money

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I always see people suggest sahms get jobs for extra money once their kids are in school. If I got even a part time job it would push us up back tax bracket and cost us more in taxes. No, thanks.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Replies (21-30):
mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

You may be pushed up a bracket but will have more taxes taken out already. So when you claim your dependents and your deductions, you should be fine. And if you don't need to job why was the subject even brought into discussion?
alwayskk
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting alwayskk:

no my point is when people suggest sahms get jobs just because kids are in school.

Well, I would suggest getting a job because the kids are in school to start your career, gain experience, have something to do, whatever you want. I wouldn't make that suggestion to someone who wasn't either bored and wanting to do something, or in need of money.

But either way, it's just a suggestion...I don't see the big deal. People suggest things to me all time. I smile and nod.

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM
We should be like France and get paid to be sahms. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Quoting MamatoKy:

nothing if they want to work. I don't need to work outside the home.
Liyoness
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:18 AM
2 moms liked this

To do something you're passionate about...?

My income is pennies compared to my DH's, and yet I'm considered a 'professional'. I have thought several times about quitting my job, and every time I have come close, I'm not able to do so. I just love it too much! I couldn't imagine finding enough things to do around the home that satisfy me.

That doesn't mean that every other woman has to feel the same way - I just find it very odd to call working a waste of time and effort. My time and effort is very much put to good use. A waste of time is cleaning the house, just to have it trashed again within an hour.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommy74146:

Not necessarily. If you claim 0 on your taxes and have more taken out it should be fine. Still more money than you're making just sitting at home.

says who. We claim 0 and would still be pushed up a bracket. Why should I waste time and effort for money not needed.

evelynolivesmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I have to work, I would go crazy without it, but that's me and except for 2 yrs. where I was a sahm, I've been steadily employed most of my life.

I'm also paranoid and insist on working because you never know what can happen and I need my financial security.

I love my kid though so now I work at home.

AlekD
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:19 AM
The only jbs available that I could get are minimum wage. On minimum wage 100% of my check would go to daycare. I might as well stay home and raise my own kids that being the case, no?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamatoKy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Never said sahm's were poor.

Please tell me where I said that.

Again, nothing lasts forever and shit happens.

What happens if god forbid something awful were to happen - your husband dies - you have no work experience and life insurance money and shit doesnt last forever. Social security is not going to cover all the bills and stuff that would come up in an emergency situation. What if your husband were to injure himself at work - something he has done thousands of times - but the courts/his job/and whomever else deemed it to be his fault and refuse to pay out any money and he cant work? What would happen then?

So once again, what is so wrong with a woman working?

And yes some people do put their children top priority. I puy my child before anything - and I still work full time - not because I want too tho, but because I have too!

Quoting Kitschy:

Not all sahms are poor. Some people set a hirer priority on being home for their kids than bringing home a paycheck

Quoting MamatoKy:

lol Why should they go to work to save money for the kids?

hm, there is a million reasons.

college, first cars, drivers ed, school clothes, emergencys, spending money, vacation money, extra money, rainy day fund jar, can teach kids to be responsible, that one thing they've been wanting but maybe you have not be able to afford, fun birthday partys.

Shit happens, nothing lasts forever.

Plus it would give a woman work experience if anything were to happen with her marraige.

Those are just some reasons.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MamatoKy:

Not necessarily, unless you are already on the verge of hitting a higher tax bracket.

Sahm's should get a part time gig or something once all their children are in school. Not saying go out and work 40 hours a week, but like 15 or 20 hours save the money and use it for the kids. kwim?

did you read a word I write? Even a part time job would push us up. Why should they go to work to save money for the kids?

CafeMom Tickers
AlekD
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Oui!

Quoting .betty.white.:

We should be like France and get paid to be sahms. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamatoKy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Wow.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MamatoKy:

we are not paying for college. They are buying their 1st car. We have the money for what they need. It is stupid to work to only cover more taxes.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)