Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You're not supposed to have a Christmas tree if You're Christian

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Jeremiah 10: 1-5 does talk about cutting down a tree and decorating it.
God and Idols 
1 Hear what the LORD says to you, O house of Israel. 2 This is what the LORD says: 
  "Do not learn the ways of the nations 
  or be terrified by signs in the sky, 
  though the nations are terrified by them. 
3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless; 
  they cut a tree out of the forest, 
  and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. 

4 They adorn it with silver and gold; 
  they fasten it with hammer and nails 
  so it will not totter. 

5 Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, 
  their idols cannot speak; 
  they must be carried 
  because they cannot walk. 
  Do not fear them; 
  they can do no harm 
  nor can they do any good."

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Replies (61-70):
MaryanneMac
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM

You are correct.  The Christmas tree was started by the Pagens.

Quoting JakesMom712:

Im Christian, i put up a tree. But i don't believe the Christmas tree is a Christian tradition. I could be wrong tho

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Now that I'm no longer Christian, I celebrate Christmas.
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Luckily they pick and chose from the bible...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

That isn't talking about Christmas trees. It is talking about false idols.  They built their idols and adorned them, it had nothing to do with Christmas. After all there was no Christmas at that time.  I don't worship a tree or an image etc etc. I worship the Lord my God.  I put up a tree because it is a pretty decoration, nothing more, nothing less. I would still have Christmas with or without a tree, with or without presents. Christmas is not about the tree, decorations or presents to me.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Pretty much everything , but the sacrificing of lambs still happens today.

Quoting Anonymous:

No one actually follows the bible or everyone would have mulitple wives, everyone would smoke pot, and men could run around raping women as long as they married them. Oh we would also still sacrifice lambs.

babylove041810
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM
What about a fake tree lol. And I don't worship it. It's just something fun to help bring the family together.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sailor_nena
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Mmmhmmm.

Quoting anyotherday:

Quoting Sailor_nena:

Only convenient scripture applies. That's inconvenient so they ignore it. Lol!

Convenient scripture quoting takes place on both sides.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bekalynne440
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM
This scripture was directed to the nation of Israel, not Christians. There is a difference. There were more rules put into place for the nation of Israel partly to keep them looking to God and forward to the birth of Christ, and partly because back then the Holy Spirit dwelt only in some individuals. Now the Holy Spirit dwells in all believers.

The Christmas tree is a pagan tradition. It is acceptable for believers to partake in the tradition, so long as they can do so with a clear conscience.

I've attended Bible school and simply want to try to set the record straight.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luv2BaMommy9809
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Long ago, the tradition of bringing evergreens/conifer trees, etc, in the home was to keep some sense of spring throughout the long, dark, and cold winter months.  It would be uplifting and kept spring alive and held a special meaning to the people, symbolizing something special and unique to them about hope and rebirth and so forth.  I think that was the original point of the tree...over time, it morphed into what we know as the Christmas Tree, although, it doesn't have anything to do with Christ per se, IMHO.  Someone here mentioned already that Pagans and others were more inclined to convert to Christianity if allowed to keep some of their own traditions, such as the Christmas tree, and the Easter Egg...these don't celebrate Christ, they celebrate the seasons and everchanging life around us.  Even though, they aren't directly about Christ, I believe these celebrations and traditions are in line with His teachings and are a great supplement to our Christian way of living.  No, the Christmas Tree nor the Easter Bunny are worshipped by Christians, but they are appreciated and embraced as additional tools to enhance what it means to believe in Christ and be a Christian.  So, with this, my humble opinion, expressed, I do believe that "Christians are not supposed to have a Christmas Tree" is an inaccurate statement.  In having a Christmas Tree, there is no violation to being a Christian.  Again, this is what I think and believe.

I hope the holidays are special for everyone, however they choose to celebrate them!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Looks like someone is bored... instead of making stupid posts, maybe spend time with your children.. or hubby.. how about both? Orrrr you could take that Christmas Tree you speak of out of your arse? Sound like a plan?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)