Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You're not supposed to have a Christmas tree if You're Christian

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Jeremiah 10: 1-5 does talk about cutting down a tree and decorating it.
God and Idols 
1 Hear what the LORD says to you, O house of Israel. 2 This is what the LORD says: 
  "Do not learn the ways of the nations 
  or be terrified by signs in the sky, 
  though the nations are terrified by them. 
3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless; 
  they cut a tree out of the forest, 
  and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. 

4 They adorn it with silver and gold; 
  they fasten it with hammer and nails 
  so it will not totter. 

5 Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, 
  their idols cannot speak; 
  they must be carried 
  because they cannot walk. 
  Do not fear them; 
  they can do no harm 
  nor can they do any good."

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Replies (71-80):
Grumpylilpixy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Rght.. LOL

Quoting ColieO:

I don't worship the Christmas tree, therefore it's not an idol.

I am a friend, a wife,a daughter but the best title I have by far is Mother .

bekalynne440
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Don't you love how people who don't truly know a religion are so quick to call those of that religion hypocrites!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM

OP, you obviously are not a Bible scholar or you would know that those verses are not talking about Christmas trees.  I have a feeling that more than a few people might actually look into a Bible because of your post.  You did a good thing, even if you don't know what you are talking about.  Taking things out of context is never a bright idea.

DarlaHood
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Don't feel stupid.  In order to understand anything, you have to have some context.  With the Bible, a start for context is just understanding the parts and where/when they originate, and what was going on in the world at that time.  If someone from biblical times picked up a book and read one paragraph about listening to music on an ipod and playing video games with an X-Box.  They wouldn't understand.  Not because they're stupid.  Just because they don't have the context, so it couldn't possibly make sense to them.

The verse the OP is referencing is from a book of the Bible called Jeremiah.  It is part of the old testament, which is Jewish history.  Jeremiah was a prophet, meaning he went around speaking messages from God to the Jewish people.  These were directed toward God's chosen people who had a long history of turning to God, living the good life, getting full of themselves, turning away from God and worshipping other things (idols), and then God trying to warn them to come back around before it was too late.

It has nothing to do with Christmas.  For Christians, Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ.  Christ was not born when Jeremiah made these prophecies or when the book of Jeremiah was written.  The birth of Christ doesn't happen until the New Testament, which is what the first 4 books (the Gospels) of the New Testament describe (Each a description of basically the same events but from the perspective of the 4 different men who wrote those books - Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).

So this passage has absolutely NOTHING to do with Christmas or Christmas trees.  And I would say the OP might want to understand the bible a bit better before posting such nonsense and confusing unsuspecting people like you. 

Quoting msalice_21:

I feel stupid reading the bible or the versus... i dont understand any of it

SaraLovesEli29
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM
I am Christian and I put up a tree EVERY year. Shut up. It's not your business, Anon! I'm not going to Hell over a freaking Christmas tree. Sheesh. Posts like these are idiotic.
TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Yeah don't care, athiest. I love Christmas trees! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomandWife6
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM

it's not worshipping a Christmas tree to have one...that is what those verses are talking about cutting a tree down and decorating and then worshipping it...

lovinglife0682
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM
God thing that is an old testament Jewish law.
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Here is the reason pine trees are venerated in Paganism: 

The seven chiefton trees of the Brehonic Law listed pine as the sixth important one. In the oghamic religion of ancient Ireland it is called the Ochtach and signifies purification. 

Quoting MaryanneMac:

You are correct.  The Christmas tree was started by the Pagens.

Quoting JakesMom712:

Im Christian, i put up a tree. But i don't believe the Christmas tree is a Christian tradition. I could be wrong tho

lovinglife0682
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM
*good

Quoting lovinglife0682:

God thing that is an old testament Jewish law.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured