Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't believe in God or an Afterlife anymore

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

And it is really depressing me.

But I can't really believe in those things anymore... It's black and white, there is just no way there is anyone "out there" watching us, there is no "white light, better place" we are going... Sorry, it just doesnt exist.

But I wish I still believed it, then maybe I wouldnt be so terrified of thoughts of dying... so terrified at the idea my existence is just going to stop, blink out like a blown light bulb.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM
5 moms liked this

If this is how you feel then you never had a personal relationship with Jesus, if you did you would know God is very real and that heaven is a real place and so is hell.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM
I stopped believing when I was raped, and kept running when my parents were continually abusive.
yellow000
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM

You don't know for a fact that there is not God though. Maybe you could consider yourself agnostic and be open to all possibilities.

BUFFIE.the.BODY
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM
LOL you must of died b4
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittney28
by Brittney on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM
I know there's more then this life, I've experianced to much not too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ireallydontcare
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Well I say sorry it does exist. Who is right? I guess we will find out at a later time. The funny thing is I feel THE SAME WAY about death as you do, and I am a believer.

AlekD
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM
It isnt a fact that God doesn't exist, despite what the virulent atheists say.

I'm sorry you are struggling with this. I haven't always been Christian but I have never been an atheist. I cant even fathom the possibility that everything came from nothing for no reason.

I hope you feel better soon. Maybe do some philisophical reading?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissArtsyPants
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Everything we are is energy. Chemical, kinetic, thermal, electrical. Our conscious, our being is comprised of these energies. I think that is a beautiful thing. I have a wonderful picture/quote that puts it beautifully, but i camt post it from my ipad. Let me go get my computer and ill send it to you.

Ultimately, you have to find what makes you feel comfortable regardless of what people think. I just like to offer my opinion of what helps me deal with my own mortality :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

No, I will agree with that. I think it is kind of rude for you to say, but I guess it is the truth. How can I have a relationship with someone who no longer exists?

If I'm going to "hell", then so be it... But it isnt as if I am suddenly some sort of horrible monster for not believing. I still live by "Christian" principles. If God does exist, I am sure he is more understanding than his groupies.

Quoting Anonymous:

If this is how you feel then you never had a personal relationship with Jesus, if you did you would know God is very real and that heaven is a real place and so is hell.

alwayskk
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Human beings have the ability to synthesize reality. Meaning, we can create realities in our mind. I can sit here and imagine myself eating a candy bar, taste the chocolate, imagine the caramel melting and feel it like it's really happening. This is why we're so much more prone to things like anxiety and depression- because we can imagine ourselves far into the future, not just think about right now.

This can be a really good thing because it keeps us from doing, say, things that will put us in jail for a very long time. It can also be a bad thing because we can play and replay something over in our heads and become very taken with the idea, even if it's something that makes us feel bad.

Ultimately, though, you are in total control of what reality you synthesize. You can live in the past, thinking about something you've done wrong. You can live in the future, feeling bad about yourself because you don't think you can accomplish something (even though you haven't even started to try to yet).

Or, you can wake up every day and say, "This is now. Now is today. Today is what I have and I'm going to make it smashing!"

Keep on your journey. Maybe some humanist literature will help you. I think you'll find that many people who renounce religion go through a sort of process of enlightenment and it's not always sunshine in the beginning. It will get better.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you must have. My risk of dying isn't greater... but knowing there is nothing to "look forward too" has increased my anxiety through the roof.

Quoting alwayskk:

Maybe I misunderstood.

If God wasn't keeping you alive, then why is your risk of dying greater now that you no longer believe?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN