Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't believe in God or an Afterlife anymore

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

And it is really depressing me.

But I can't really believe in those things anymore... It's black and white, there is just no way there is anyone "out there" watching us, there is no "white light, better place" we are going... Sorry, it just doesnt exist.

But I wish I still believed it, then maybe I wouldnt be so terrified of thoughts of dying... so terrified at the idea my existence is just going to stop, blink out like a blown light bulb.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
Thibmom
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this
What made you stop believing? If you don't mind me asking. I have questioned my faith before...even considered myself agnostic for a while. I cant explain it really well without an essay (lol), but I feel like I had to go through that to actually strengthen my faith. It's stronger than ever now. I guess maybe because I realized some ways I was taught by "Christians" were wrong. Too many christians misconstrue the way we as believers should live. Too many times, we have standards set by man to live up to...instead of God. I could possibly stay on this subject for a while because I've gone through it and had many revelations revealed to me. Many believers go through a time where they don't believe anymore. It does sadden me to hear of new unbelief, but I'm not want to shove judgement in anyone's face. I just hope that whatever you believe, or don't believe, you find renewed peace in your life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovemysnugbugs
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM
If you don't believe there's anything after this life, then instead of worrying about death, focus on enjoying the life you have. I'm atheist and this is how I live my life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissArtsyPants
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

but is our conciousness seperate from the rest of the energy keeping our body alive? Do we have a "soul"

Quoting MissArtsyPants:

Google the laws of thermodynamics. I think God is silly, but the conservation of energy brings me comfort. It did especially when my dad and then grandfather passed away

here it is :)

NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I don't really believe in a "god" in the traditional sense either.  To me, it is illogical (though others disagree, obviously... and that's totally fine).  I do, however believe that the universe vibrates with an energy that is in and all around us.  I'm not an Atheist (well, others might refer to me as that, but the term doesn't feel right to me), but I am a Pantheist.  I don't see "god" as a separate, conscious deity... but rather as the energies of nature and the universe itself.

I also believe in multiple universes, dimensions, and other planes of existence.  I do believe in a "soul" so to speak... I believe that like everything else in the universe, we also have our own spirit energy.  I don't believe this energy just disappears and vanishes after death.  In my view, there must be some sort of plane of existence that this energy goes to.  I believe this too because I have seen ghosts before... so while I don't believe in the traditional Christian view of the Afterlife, I do believe that there is *something* that happens beyond us "just dying" and ceasing to exist.

Why am I detailing this?  To point out that there are other forms of view on "god" and the afterlife than the traditional views.  In my opinion, how I view these concepts makes sense (of course, otherwise I wouldn't believe in them, *laughs*).  It's ok to believe that when we die, we die... our bodies decompose and that's it.  It's also ok to think that there's a fixed "heaven" or "hell" and that there is some sort of supernatural hierarchy of entities waiting for us (or watching over us, or whatever)... and it's also ok to believe in science while simultaneously believing that there are things out there that we may never understand.

To me, it's not black and white.  The universe is so incredibly vast and there are only so many things we can explain with our limited brain compacity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:59 AM

It wasn't  rude, just being honest and even you agree it's true and God is very real. It's all about a personal relationship with him, not about his "groupies", we all will have to answer to God one day, so lets keep our eyes on God and worry about ourselves instead of looking at others then maybe your eyes will be opened to the reality of God.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, I will agree with that. I think it is kind of rude for you to say, but I guess it is the truth. How can I have a relationship with someone who no longer exists?

If I'm going to "hell", then so be it... But it isnt as if I am suddenly some sort of horrible monster for not believing. I still live by "Christian" principles. If God does exist, I am sure he is more understanding than his groupies.

Quoting Anonymous:

If this is how you feel then you never had a personal relationship with Jesus, if you did you would know God is very real and that heaven is a real place and so is hell.

MissArtsyPants
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I really enjoyed reading this. I appreciate that you are not forceful as so many Christians are.

Quoting Thibmom:

What made you stop believing? If you don't mind me asking. I have questioned my faith before...even considered myself agnostic for a while. I cant explain it really well without an essay (lol), but I feel like I had to go through that to actually strengthen my faith. It's stronger than ever now. I guess maybe because I realized some ways I was taught by "Christians" were wrong. Too many christians misconstrue the way we as believers should live. Too many times, we have standards set by man to live up to...instead of God. I could possibly stay on this subject for a while because I've gone through it and had many revelations revealed to me. Many believers go through a time where they don't believe anymore. It does sadden me to hear of new unbelief, but I'm not want to shove judgement in anyone's face. I just hope that whatever you believe, or don't believe, you find renewed peace in your life.

TugBoatMama
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I have been there and it is not easy to deal with. I remember fighting the loss of my faith. I would still attend church, but when I did it would only make me sad and I would just silently weep the entire service. The fear of dying and hell is a psychological prison that has been designed to do just that-keep you afraid. If you're too afraid to think about what's behind the curtain, you probably won't think about it. Belief borne out of fear isn't true belief at all anyway. I prefer not to spend what is left of my life thinking about my death, because that isn't what life is about for me anymore. Our want for eternity comes from our own human ego. When I am dead, I won't have the ability to care that I'm dead. I will live in the memories of my family though. I know that sounds really corny but I believe it to be true.

Try The Thinking Atheist on Youtube. He's someone I know and he has grown up as a Christian with theologian parents. His stuff is really great and thoughtful. I wish you the best :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, very much. 

Quoting alwayskk:

Human beings have the ability to synthesize reality. Meaning, we can create realities in our mind. I can sit here and imagine myself eating a candy bar, taste the chocolate, imagine the caramel melting and feel it like it's really happening. This is why we're so much more prone to things like anxiety and depression- because we can imagine ourselves far into the future, not just think about right now.

This can be a really good thing because it keeps us from doing, say, things that will put us in jail for a very long time. It can also be a bad thing because we can play and replay something over in our heads and become very taken with the idea, even if it's something that makes us feel bad.

Ultimately, though, you are in total control of what reality you synthesize. You can live in the past, thinking about something you've done wrong. You can live in the future, feeling bad about yourself because you don't think you can accomplish something (even though you haven't even started to try to yet).

Or, you can wake up every day and say, "This is now. Now is today. Today is what I have and I'm going to make it smashing!"

Keep on your journey. Maybe some humanist literature will help you. I think you'll find that many people who renounce religion go through a sort of process of enlightenment and it's not always sunshine in the beginning. It will get better.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you must have. My risk of dying isn't greater... but knowing there is nothing to "look forward too" has increased my anxiety through the roof.

Quoting alwayskk:

Maybe I misunderstood.

If God wasn't keeping you alive, then why is your risk of dying greater now that you no longer believe?

MissArtsyPants
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM

All religion and belief is subjective. It may be real for you, but that does not make it real to others.

Quoting Anonymous:

If this is how you feel then you never had a personal relationship with Jesus, if you did you would know God is very real and that heaven is a real place and so is hell.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I realize God isn't real to many people, but what if he is real?

Quoting MissArtsyPants:

All religion and belief is subjective. It may be real for you, but that does not make it real to others.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)