Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Avoid The Charity "Scammers"

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM
  • 31 Replies

We all have heard about the families that have signed up for every church and charity known to man so they can get their kids as much as they can for the holidays while many of us struggle and still manage to provide our children with a decent Christmas.

I don't trust the charities anymore and haven't in a few years.  It's horrible that some take advantage of these programs and make it so those who truly need them cannot get them.

Every holiday season, the DSHS office where my mom works has a sign up for providing gifts of toys and clothing to our state's foster children.  I'm not sure if this is available to those who do not work in the offices, but my mom signs up every year and gets the information of a child who deserves a special Christmas.

I think for those who are wary of the local church charities and toys for tots program should look into their social services office and find out if they have something like this available (if you can afford it, obviously).  This way, you know it's going to a child who is truly in need. 

Just a thought and suggestion.

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the charities should keep a common list so they can see who has signed up where, that way people couldn't sign up in multiple places and it would enable more needy people to be helped.

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I suggested the same thing in another charity post.  Some sort of registry that keeps tabs on the families abusing the charities to get more stuff for their kids.  I agree 100%.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think the charities should keep a common list so they can see who has signed up where, that way people couldn't sign up in multiple places and it would enable more needy people to be helped.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

My church is huge when it comes to helping those in need, especially during the holidays and I know everything goes to the familys, no scams here.

TrouserMouse
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I would like to add that if you have a local agency that serves adults with developmental disabilities, they always have a need.  They live off of SSI or SSDI and much of their money goes to bills just like anyone else.  Many of them do not have families or that many that actually care.  Many of them are still very much like a child in how they see the world.  Just getting them a new hat and gloves or craft supplies or something super simple and cheap could totally brighten their day.

Tinabee88
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM

People scam charities all year long not just on the holidays.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I made a post similar to this the other day, because I too, am sick of the scammers. I suggested Operation Christmas Child, donating to nursing homes and got a couple of suggestions for donating to women's shelters.

Mrs.Winchester
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Toys For Tots is run by the DSHS program (everywhere? maybe just in our city?).  In order to get a toy from them you have to receive DSHS assistance.  They look you up in the computer so you can't get toys from multiple locations.

LovelyMommy24
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Thank you! I'll look into that. :)

BelleJenWaffulz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM
If it wasn't for programs like this for foster kids, there would have been many Christmases and birthdays where I would have had nothing to open. It's a shame the love and generosity of those willing to give is taken such advantage of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)