Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter hates me :(

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:41 PM
  • 42 Replies

My DD is almost 16 yrs old and she hates me.  She told me she has hated me since she was 9.      She says I have no respect for her.   This started because after me grocery shopping all and working all week I asked her to clean the kitchen today.  She said " it doesnt need cleaned"  I said that wasn't for her to decide and it was a mess.  She said " fine goodbye"  very mean like so I told her she needed to stay off the computer tonight and to not speak to me that way again.  She now hates me because all I care about is the house.  We had a long talk about how that is not all I care about but when I work 6 days a week I dont see anything wrong with expecting help.   She is in her room sulking now.    It was soo much easier when they were little.  Any advice?

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM

BUMP!

KarriePlus1
by Karen on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I don't have any advice, sorry. But here's a bump.

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM
12 moms liked this

quite frankly, she's a teenager.  if she hates you, you're doing it right.

isyn3cams
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Shes a teenager she'll get over it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommieSDW
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. You're not her friend.

Quoting ff-princess:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Quoting ff-princess:

jkleinman
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Pretty much. Lol.

Quoting ff-princess:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I know it sucks to have that feeling, but she's a teenager - and you are doing the right think by expecting responsibility and respect from her. She will get over it and thank you eventually for bringing her up right! 

exhaustedmother
by Amy on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I know what you are going through because I have  a 14 year old daughter that has been giving me grief just about every day. I am having so much trouble getting her to do anything lately around the house. She is particularly mad at me right now because I blocked the access to her Wizard 101 game and said she was not getting it back until she started helping out and stopped with her back talking. Good luck I know it will get better. It will be hard for a time but eventually they will snap out of this phase they are going through. And I though the teenage years would be the easiest; wow was I wrong!

brittany208
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Yeah, when my son is mad at me, I just figure I'm doing a good job. Be the parent, not the friend. Set clear expectations and hold her to them. Asking her to help at 16 is NOT too much to ask. I expect my 3 yo to help. And he doesnt do anything until he does what I've asked him. I would tell her "Sure you can go to the mall--AFTER you do xyz"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)