Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thanks moms for your input. What activities are your kids in and how much do you spend on them? Edit..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 270 Replies

Technically, I know I have got it easy. My mom paid for me to register the kids for 8 weeks of basketball lessons at the YMCA. All I have to do is spend between $4 - $8 roundtrip per week on them for bus fare to get them there.

I think at tax time, I want to place ds in voice lessons and dd in violin lessons. I also want to place them in tap and hip-hop dance lessons.

I will also be placing them in free swim lessons the next time the city school district offers it free as well as using my employee discount to pay $21 per month for a family membership at the YMCA.

So I've taken out my calculator and that's $252 for the annual membership at the YMCA for my family of 4. Then it seems I should budget at least $500 per child so they can at least get three months of lessons. Maybe six months if I choose one over the other. Perhaps just tap this year and their music lessons. S/o and I both work, but are looking into buying our first house.

This totally helps me budget that at the very least I will need to save a total of $1,500 for their activities. I will likely save it onto a pre-paid credit card so that it isn't accessible.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I spend $30 a week to take my son to Gymboree 2x per week for an hour each time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:47 AM
The lessons will be birthday gifts as well as part of their home school curriculum for music and gym.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:48 AM
What is gymboree and what does your son do there? How old is he?

Quoting Anonymous:

I spend $30 a week to take my son to Gymboree 2x per week for an hour each time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
velvetkitty
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Two of my kids are in swim class, and it costs $90 every 3 weeks for both of them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:50 AM
How often a week are the swim lessons?

The school district here offers swim lessons free about three times per year. I really wanted to sign them up, but it was at the exact time as their basketball lessons. The free swim lessons are once a week for 8 weeks.

Quoting velvetkitty:

Two of my kids are in swim class, and it costs $90 every 3 weeks for both of them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Neon1980
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine did soccer over the summer...otherwise not much..concentrating on school for now since my 8 yo is having a very hard year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
velvetkitty
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Twice a week.  Each lesson is 30 minutes long.  

Quoting Anonymous:

How often a week are the swim lessons?

The school district here offers swim lessons free about three times per year. I really wanted to sign them up, but it was at the exact time as their basketball lessons.

Quoting velvetkitty:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Aww, I can understand where you're coming from. I began homeschooling this yr since my 11 yr old was having a hard time. He is flourishing now. He can take his time and not feel rushed and it is allowing him to better concentrate on his work.

Quoting Neon1980:

Mine did soccer over the summer...otherwise not much..concentrating on school for now since my 8 yo is having a very hard year.
LoveVenus
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:52 AM

my son is in karate $180 for the year also flag football which is free my husband coaches lil league.my daughters are in tap/ballet class and thats 375 a year for all 3 girls

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:53 AM
Dd is in gymnastics. It's $80 a month. Both kids will do ski club, which is $200 each a season, before ski rentals and all that. So, more like $400 a season each. And ds is in a ton of stuff for school. Doesn't cost anything except all the money he meds for food or whatever on trips. I don't even know how much that is...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)