Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thanks moms for your input. What activities are your kids in and how much do you spend on them? Edit..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Technically, I know I have got it easy. My mom paid for me to register the kids for 8 weeks of basketball lessons at the YMCA. All I have to do is spend between $4 - $8 roundtrip per week on them for bus fare to get them there.

I think at tax time, I want to place ds in voice lessons and dd in violin lessons. I also want to place them in tap and hip-hop dance lessons.

I will also be placing them in free swim lessons the next time the city school district offers it free as well as using my employee discount to pay $21 per month for a family membership at the YMCA.

So I've taken out my calculator and that's $252 for the annual membership at the YMCA for my family of 4. Then it seems I should budget at least $500 per child so they can at least get three months of lessons. Maybe six months if I choose one over the other. Perhaps just tap this year and their music lessons. S/o and I both work, but are looking into buying our first house.

This totally helps me budget that at the very least I will need to save a total of $1,500 for their activities. I will likely save it onto a pre-paid credit card so that it isn't accessible.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:46 AM
Replies (261-270):
mamom01
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I completely understand!  I only have one and we spend $160 a month on regular classes and another $160 on private lessons.  Belt testing, seminars, camps, tournament fees, travel to tournaments, etc...and yep...it's too much.  We've been looking for tumbling classes that don't conflict with her current schedule and haven't had much luck.  We're moving cross country at the end of next month anyway so it would be pointless at this stage anyway. 

I think there needs to be a tournament moms support group.  I don't know about you but they stress me out. 

Quoting Anonymous:

We do NASKA,  and most of them we have to fly.  Our class fees alone with both kids are $250/month, gymnastics which is about $1200/yr. and we also do the camps and boot camps. And then all the local and regional tournaments.  If we wanted, we could do something every weekend, lol.  The kids love it but it's getting to be too much. 

Quoting mamom01:

Holy crap!  We've only done NASKA tournaments within a 1 day drive.  My dd wants to do them all.  $20k a year...I don't think we're going to be able to pull that off.  :[

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids are in martial arts and compete on the national level.  We pay a minimum of $20,000 per year.  We are actually starting to look for sponsors at this point.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Support group is right!  There's WAY too much drama at our local school.  My daughter was the division champion in fighting and now her best friend in karate of 4 years is mad.  She too is a really good fighter (and can usually beat my kid), but only went to 4 tournaments instead of 6 so my daughter beat her with points.  So now her and her PARENTS are pissed off.  For some reason their kid is so damn special that no one else is ever allowed to win.  I had NO IDEA they were such sore losers.  I guess I didnt know because their kid always beat mine.  Now, my kid passes them and they cry like babies to anyone who will listen?  They actually called and complained that my kid has "too many points".  They complained to the teacher.  They complain to other parents.  Idiots.  I just wish I had another option for schools.  There's always some sort of stupid problem here and we've all had enough.

Quoting mamom01:

I completely understand!  I only have one and we spend $160 a month on regular classes and another $160 on private lessons.  Belt testing, seminars, camps, tournament fees, travel to tournaments, etc...and yep...it's too much.  We've been looking for tumbling classes that don't conflict with her current schedule and haven't had much luck.  We're moving cross country at the end of next month anyway so it would be pointless at this stage anyway. 

I think there needs to be a tournament moms support group.  I don't know about you but they stress me out. 

Quoting Anonymous:

We do NASKA,  and most of them we have to fly.  Our class fees alone with both kids are $250/month, gymnastics which is about $1200/yr. and we also do the camps and boot camps. And then all the local and regional tournaments.  If we wanted, we could do something every weekend, lol.  The kids love it but it's getting to be too much. 

Quoting mamom01:

Holy crap!  We've only done NASKA tournaments within a 1 day drive.  My dd wants to do them all.  $20k a year...I don't think we're going to be able to pull that off.  :[

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids are in martial arts and compete on the national level.  We pay a minimum of $20,000 per year.  We are actually starting to look for sponsors at this point.

rnmom4lif
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM

my 10 year old- 

skateboarding- 30$ a month membership plus 3$ everytime he goes. and ofcourse the actual skateboards themselves (ud be surprised how often they break) helmet, pads. (anywhere from 200-300$ a year)

break dancing- 60$ a month for classes

my 4 year old-

gymnastics- 60$ a month for classes

----thats it for now but i think im pretty lucky actually. i know i did every sport under the sun when i was growing up- my parents spent a fortune on me. and of all sports- the ones theyve choosen so far arent all that expensive....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM
I didn't know there were skateboarding classes! Dd has her board and pads and helmet, but rarely gets to use it for me being a nervous ninny. I should look into that for her!

Quoting rnmom4lif:

my 10 year old- 

skateboarding- 30$ a month membership plus 3$ everytime he goes. and ofcourse the actual skateboards themselves (ud be surprised how often they break) helmet, pads. (anywhere from 200-300$ a year)

my 4 year old-

----thats it for now but i think im pretty lucky actually. i know i did every sport under the sun when i was growing up- my parents spent a fortune on me. and of all sports- the ones theyve choosen so far arent all that expensive....

rnmom4lif
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM

well his is actually a membership to a skatepark but they do offer classes there as well- especially in the summer time. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't know there were skateboarding classes! Dd has her board and pads and helmet, but rarely gets to use it for me being a nervous ninny. I should look into that for her!

Quoting rnmom4lif:

my 10 year old- 

my 4 year old-

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Dd is 10 as well. I hope I can find something like this for her around here.

Quoting rnmom4lif:

well his is actually a membership to a skatepark but they do offer classes there as well- especially in the summer time. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting rnmom4lif:

my 10 year old- 

my 4 year old-

rnmom4lif
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM

if u can- it really is great. the one he goes to is part of a youth center so they are really good there and make sure they wear their helmets and all. they have an inside center incase it rains or they want a break where they can play video games or get on some computers they have there. its great cuz i can drop him off and go grocery shopping or take my younger one to the park or whatever. there is one other one by us and its only 8$ a month/ or 4$ each time u go but its kind of a dangerous neigborhood and its all older teens and stuff so i take him from time to time but i stay with him. they do have someone watching them there but i still dont feel comfortable leaving him there. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Dd is 10 as well. I hope I can find something like this for her around here.

Quoting rnmom4lif:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting rnmom4lif:

my 10 year old- 

my 4 year old-

mamom01
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:40 AM
That's disgusting! We have none of that. We are blessed to be at a school where the kids and the parents are very supportive of each other.

Quoting mamom01:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mamom01:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lanesmommy26
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM

My daughter was in Gymboree for the first four years of her life as well as swim lessons, dance and gymnastics. Now at (just turned six) she takes dance, gymnastics, piano and Girl Scouts. She loves to stay busy. I am the troop leader for her GS group, so I paid $65 for the both of us. Then we pay $150 a month for piano, $70 a month for gymnastics and $120 a month for dance class. So in total we spend around $340 a month on her extra curricular activities. During the summers we keep her in all the activities and add summer camp and swim lessons. The summers are a bit more expensive as we spend $1200 for camp and $220 for 10 swim lesson sessions. We save money on her private swim lessons by using our own pool. :)

MammaPaparazza
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Ds does baseball and scouts that is every Tuesday night and random weekends, baseball will be practice twice a week and games on weekdays and weekends. It's not a huge investment.
Dd did soccor it wasn't her thing , she is dance (tap, ballet and twirl) that is 60 a month plus her dance costumes that change yearly, plus her shoes, leotards etc..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN