Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Punishing Teenagers without ABUSING THEM

Posted by   + Show Post

So... Some people on here say, punish your teenager to fit the crime right? 

Well when they are teenagers what exactly is a crime fitting punishment????

Now mind you you may have to answer two different ways teen grouped age as 13-15 and 16-18

So if the teen is mouthy, what is the punishment>?

If the teen tells you to shuittup what fits this crime?

If the teen tells you the hell with you and walks out the door despite you tell them they can, what is the punishment for that?

If the teen is late then gets mouthy then what?

If the teen gets poor grades???

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes. 

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Replies (71-79):
bi-polarmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:27 AM

stick of butter in a sock

Quoting Anonymous:

Beat em with salomi it doesn't leave a mark

Come join me at Multi-Generational Special Needs Households, a place for moms dealing with 2 or more generations of special needs under one roof

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118250/

Celtic_Dragon
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:29 AM

What the hell? Why in the world would you do that? I worked for two year trying to get parents to encourage literature in their household. Reading is so important for developing minds! And if your kid LIKES to read, why would you take that way from them as punishment? It activates their minds in a way that media cannot! Just because they are in trouble doesn't mean they should be brain dead?

When my parents grounded us, we lose everything BUT our books. That was our only form of entertainment. It forced us to read and yes, I liked to read. But not all the time and it sucked worse having other things, like time with my friends, taken away.

Quoting Ber-Lynn:

They have to come home right after school, if they work they can only go to work, school and home. When home the cell phone is gone and no internet unless it is for home work. No television, if they really don't watch television tland they enjoy reading for pleasure then take books away. There all all kinds of things to do to make teens miserable.

MrsOssiander
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:39 AM
Depends on the child.....my oldest is 14 and an electronic freak who loathes doing the dishes. That ends up being a punishment for him. The house rotation is gone and he gets to do them for xx amount of time and no friends over, no computer or xbox. The other kidlets aren't teens yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aleta775
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:47 AM
See, I started working when I was a teen. I was 13 when I started working. From that point on, I was simply too busy to get into any trouble. I was too tired to be mouthy. School, work, homework, and them sleep. That was my routine all four years of high school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:50 AM

I agree!

One time I was being a bit of a snot before a family vacation to the beach.  When I got to the beach I discovered that my mom replaced all my "beach" books with Jane Austin.

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

What the hell? Why in the world would you do that? I worked for two year trying to get parents to encourage literature in their household. Reading is so important for developing minds! And if your kid LIKES to read, why would you take that way from them as punishment? It activates their minds in a way that media cannot! Just because they are in trouble doesn't mean they should be brain dead?

When my parents grounded us, we lose everything BUT our books. That was our only form of entertainment. It forced us to read and yes, I liked to read. But not all the time and it sucked worse having other things, like time with my friends, taken away.

Quoting Ber-Lynn:

They have to come home right after school, if they work they can only go to work, school and home. When home the cell phone is gone and no internet unless it is for home work. No television, if they really don't watch television tland they enjoy reading for pleasure then take books away. There all all kinds of things to do to make teens miserable.

Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

It's the only thing that really bothered me for punishment. My parents took my books away. I didn't care for tv and I saw my friends at school, so the only thing that truly punished me was taking away books.
Celtic_Dragon
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:36 PM

This is not normal in 99% of children these days. They live electronics and social interactions. Most kids do not read. Sure, some do, but even those children would not be harmed if books were taken.

The difference is is that books encourages the mind. It is exercise for you mind. So basically, you'll starving your child of mind exercise, which you would never ground your child away from PHYSICAL exercise, so why would do it for their mind?

I liked the suggestion that instead of taking away their exercise, modify it. Take their favorites away and offer instead books that aren't to their taste.

Quoting Ber-Lynn:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

It's the only thing that really bothered me for punishment. My parents took my books away. I didn't care for tv and I saw my friends at school, so the only thing that truly punished me was taking away books.

laparla
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:10 AM

DH and I were paddled when we were bigger than our moms, as were our brothers and sisters.  Age matters less than the kind of home you live in.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ha wait tell they are bigger then you . That paddle will be used against you or they will leave I've seen it many times . Tons of kids in my old group home due to this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:12 AM

No x-box and they have to play outside.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)