Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you Rh Negative?? (you might have received rhogam shot during pregnancy)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
That post about the woman not getting prenatal care irked me.

I decided to do a spin off post to see if women knew why they get that shot during pregnancy. Not all moms will get it, if you are Rh positive you don't have to.

Rh is a blood group like A, B, O... Hence you can be O+ or B- etc

Well if a negative mama has a positive baby she can develop a deadly antibody. Her first pregnancy will be fine, but any subsequent pregnancies can be fatal for the neonate.

This disease is called hemolytic disease of the newborn.

It's important to know your blood type. The reason they give you that shot is to trick your brain to not developing antibodies. This protects future babies.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
jeannie39
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:55 AM

I got the shot with all my pregnancies. One at 28wks.(I think) and the other right after birth. Even with my 1st.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Are you saying you wouldn't chance getting the shot? Because it doesn't harm Rh+ babies.. Just helps Rh- ones.

Quoting Anonymous:

Every pregnancy is different. With one you could be neg and the next you could be pos. I wouldn't chance it...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:02 AM
Quoting bellaamore:

Im rh negative and i didnt receive it. You only need it in two situations: 

Traumatic physical experience during pregnancy/ birth beoreyou could know the blood type of the baby

Or

You gave birth to an rh positive baby.

My daughter was o neg as well, and i had a trauma free pregnancy and birth

Many times, this shot is given routinely to rh neg women, andthus, they blindly believe theyNEED it.

After the baby is born and they know it is negative too they won't give you another shot. There are many opportunities for mama and baby blood to mix during pregnancy and especially during birth. Without knowing what the baby's blood type is it is best to go ahead and protect.

Now if both mom and dad are negative then no shot is needed because baby will be negative too (unless mama needs to go on Maury lol)
haleymak
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:03 AM
Yes, I'm A- and only recieved one shot in my hip, didn't have to get one after son was born.
I knew only that I had to get it because of my blood type, I didn't know all the details.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:04 AM
Sorry, shoulda been more clear. I wouldn't chance going thru a pregnancy without being tested. I was fine with my firstborn and didn't need the meds during delivery, my second came early and they hadn't gotten my results back (I got the test done earlier that day) so they went ahead an gave me the meds during delivery, just in case. A yr and a half later, we're still good :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you saying you wouldn't chance getting the shot? Because it doesn't harm Rh+ babies.. Just helps Rh- ones.

Quoting Anonymous:

Every pregnancy is different. With one you could be neg and the next you could be pos. I wouldn't chance it...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:06 AM

Oh. Sorry. :p I'm just hormonal and just got my shot for it, haha, so I'm in crazy momma mode. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, shoulda been more clear. I wouldn't chance going thru a pregnancy without being tested. I was fine with my firstborn and didn't need the meds during delivery, my second came early and they hadn't gotten my results back (I got the test done earlier that day) so they went ahead an gave me the meds during delivery, just in case. A yr and a half later, we're still good :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

LucyHourglass
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:06 AM

ilm rh - my son turned out to be negative too, but I got the shot just in case. I am anti-vax natural momma, but this one in particular I thought the pros outweighed the cons.

Ladyteancum
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:08 AM

I am rh -. But lucky for me, so is DH. SO No shot for me!!

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:08 AM
The shot during pregnancy is nothing more than a precaution. Unless you have bled or had trauma, it's not necessary. Up to 72 hours after giving birth is the span to getting the shot. It's not like it happens immediately.
Quoting Anonymous:

So you knew your daughter was O- before she was born?

Quoting bellaamore:

Im rh negative and i didnt receive it. You only need it in two situations: 

Traumatic physical experience during pregnancy/ birth beoreyou could know the blood type of the baby

Or

You gave birth to an rh positive baby.

My daughter was o neg as well, and i had a trauma free pregnancy and birth

Many times, this shot is given routinely to rh neg women, andthus, they blindly believe theyNEED it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A.J.s_mommy
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:10 AM
Are you meaning group B strep and antibiotics?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured