Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you Rh Negative?? (you might have received rhogam shot during pregnancy)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
That post about the woman not getting prenatal care irked me.

I decided to do a spin off post to see if women knew why they get that shot during pregnancy. Not all moms will get it, if you are Rh positive you don't have to.

Rh is a blood group like A, B, O... Hence you can be O+ or B- etc

Well if a negative mama has a positive baby she can develop a deadly antibody. Her first pregnancy will be fine, but any subsequent pregnancies can be fatal for the neonate.

This disease is called hemolytic disease of the newborn.

It's important to know your blood type. The reason they give you that shot is to trick your brain to not developing antibodies. This protects future babies.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:14 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Your blood type will stay the same your whole life. For instance you will always be Negative, but your kids could get the positive from dad. The problem comes in when your body sees the baby's blood type as foreign and starts attacking it. Basically the antibodies that you could develop would pop all of the baby's positive blood cells.

So the shot is fake antibodies that trick your brain into not producing any real antibodies.

The reason why it's seen on the second pregnancy is because with the first the mom may have only been exposed to the babies blood during birth, but when her body sees the same invader again it's already built up an arsenal of antibodies which will harm the baby.
4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:22 AM

It has nothing to do with Group B strep by the way....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:23 AM

That shot hurts like hell....my ass was sore for days.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:42 AM
Quoting 4kids4tara:

It has nothing to do with Group B strep by the way....

Lol... No, but really the problem is doctors dont really let their patients in on what they're doing. It's like they think if they explain something then the patient will just end up asking questions. heaven forbid if an MD has to answer a question about their treatment.
Corkie-
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:42 AM
I did :( I couldn't sit down for 2 hours lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
junebaby11
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:44 AM
O+ here =)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:44 AM
Yep I am and got both before and after both of my dds. Neither of them are so they didnt have to have them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:48 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol, negative on that one. Your blood type doesn't change. I was born O- and will die O-.

Quoting Anonymous:

Every pregnancy is different. With one you could be neg and the next you could be pos. I wouldn't chance it...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:53 AM
My mom is O- I almost died at birth because she didn't have the shot. I had a complete blood tranfusion and spent 3 months in NICU and back in the hospital 6 times before I turned one. Not my moms best year :-(
MizzDeeDee
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:55 AM

I am O+. but dd is O-, so she's get the shots if she has kids. I have an Aunt who didn't have them (not sure they had them when her kids were born) and she lost children AND she had some very VERY sickly ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN