Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you Rh Negative?? (you might have received rhogam shot during pregnancy)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
That post about the woman not getting prenatal care irked me.

I decided to do a spin off post to see if women knew why they get that shot during pregnancy. Not all moms will get it, if you are Rh positive you don't have to.

Rh is a blood group like A, B, O... Hence you can be O+ or B- etc

Well if a negative mama has a positive baby she can develop a deadly antibody. Her first pregnancy will be fine, but any subsequent pregnancies can be fatal for the neonate.

This disease is called hemolytic disease of the newborn.

It's important to know your blood type. The reason they give you that shot is to trick your brain to not developing antibodies. This protects future babies.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:57 AM
I'm on my 4th pregnancy now, and have gotten the shot with all but my first(which ended in a miscarriage). I was young, dumb, and scared with the miscarriage, so I never sought medical treatment. With my oldest I had a hemorrhage at 12 weeks, and received rhogam because his father is B+, and with not knowing what the fetus was I miscarried; it was a precautionary measure. He was typed immediately after birth though and is also O-, so I didn't need another shot. My youngest was born extremely jaundiced. When typed it was found that he got his father's blood type(B+), and somewhere along the lines our blood mixed. So, he was dealing with ABO incompatibility, causing the jaundice. He had to be hospitalized in the bili bassinet for 4 days. With my current pregnancy, her father is O+. After what I went through with my youngest i am all for shooting me up. Lol. Though, some of my bloodwork cae back with some funky numbers, so my doc is currently running more tests to see if I am now naturally producing the antigen, compliments on my youngest son.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Salsacookies
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:57 AM
I am rh positive, but if I wasn't, I wouldn't risk it. Just becaus there a chance the baby could come out fine, there's also that chance it couldn't. It doesn't harm an rh positive baby so there really is no excuse to not get it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:06 AM
Quoting JenB1983:

I'm on my 4th pregnancy now, and have gotten the shot with all but my first(which ended in a miscarriage). I was young, dumb, and scared with the miscarriage, so I never sought medical treatment. With my oldest I had a hemorrhage at 12 weeks, and received rhogam because his father is B+, and with not knowing what the fetus was I miscarried; it was a precautionary measure. He was typed immediately after birth though and is also O-, so I didn't need another shot. My youngest was born extremely jaundiced. When typed it was found that he got his father's blood type(B+), and somewhere along the lines our blood mixed. So, he was dealing with ABO incompatibility, causing the jaundice. He had to be hospitalized in the bili bassinet for 4 days. With my current pregnancy, her father is O+. After what I went through with my youngest i am all for shooting me up. Lol. Though, some of my bloodwork cae back with some funky numbers, so my doc is currently running more tests to see if I am now naturally producing the antigen, compliments on my youngest son.

I was ABO incompatible with my son too. He's a B and I'm an O. He had jaundice too. :( no fun, poor thing.

So your doctor found you have an antibody during your prenatal work up? Which one?
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:10 AM
I *might* be producing the anti-d antigen now. Pretty sure that's what it was dumbed down to me as. Lol. Pretty much there is a chance I was sensitized thanks to my son, and that kicked mymbody into producing it......which is what Rhogam is....just a synthetic version. My sis(runs the blood bank and Camo Lejuene) said I will be a blood bankers nightmare if I am. Lol. Oh well, I'd be able to sell my plasma for them to make Rhogam at least. :-P

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JenB1983:

I was ABO incompatible with my son too. He's a B and I'm an O. He had jaundice too. :( no fun, poor thing.

So your doctor found you have an antibody during your prenatal work up? Which one?

MisfitInTN
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:12 AM
Nope im o+
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pink.
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:12 AM
I'm a little not sober lol and very sleepy so I can't recall my blood type at the moment, but I do know a genetic chromosome map out and a little later an amnio confirmed no need for the shot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:13 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

My mom is O- I almost died at birth because she didn't have the shot. I had a complete blood tranfusion and spent 3 months in NICU and back in the hospital 6 times before I turned one. Not my moms best year :-(

I'm so sorry. Thank god you're okay now. I hope the moms that don't think the shot is important read this because I hope no one has to go through this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:20 AM
Quoting JenB1983:

Anti-D is an antibody to the D antigen which is part of the Rh system (the pos/neg part of the blood type). By chance had you already received the rhogam shot before they did your work up? (like within 3 months)

I'm a blood banker too :). Anti-D's aren't our worst nightmare the bad ones are our sickle cell patients who get transfused a lot. They have every antibody in the book and you basically have to find blood that perfectly matches theirs. Sometimes we have to get blood from accross the country that's a match.

If a patient has an anti-D we just have to give them O neg blood. Easy peasy. :)
jamamama00
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I would never get the Rhogam shot....it's just another attempt by big medicine to trick us into paying money for something we dont' need. Kidding, kidding!!! LOL yes, I've seen some very incorrect posts about the shot before, and I feel bad that some people are so incredibly misinformed and ignorant of basic biology. I'm negative and my husband and children are positive. I've learned that if the nurse does the shot correctly (warms it up first) you wont even feel it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:22 AM
Quoting Ms.Pink.:

I'm a little not sober lol and very sleepy so I can't recall my blood type at the moment, but I do know a genetic chromosome map out and a little later an amnio confirmed no need for the shot.

Wow! What did you need to do an amnio and chromosomal map for? Surely not just to see if you needed a rhogam shot??
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN