Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you Rh Negative?? (you might have received rhogam shot during pregnancy)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
That post about the woman not getting prenatal care irked me.

I decided to do a spin off post to see if women knew why they get that shot during pregnancy. Not all moms will get it, if you are Rh positive you don't have to.

Rh is a blood group like A, B, O... Hence you can be O+ or B- etc

Well if a negative mama has a positive baby she can develop a deadly antibody. Her first pregnancy will be fine, but any subsequent pregnancies can be fatal for the neonate.

This disease is called hemolytic disease of the newborn.

It's important to know your blood type. The reason they give you that shot is to trick your brain to not developing antibodies. This protects future babies.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:44 AM
Replies (51-60):
Nerdy_Mama
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:26 AM

I was advised to abort my daughter because they predicted her quality of life would be extremely poor, that she would have deformities and Down Syndrome. She is now 2 years old and perfectly healthy. It's crazy how off prenatal tests can be.

Quoting Ms.Pink.:

Lol no, that was just looked for. We had it bc Ds had an abnormal triple screen. His first set of chromosomes had extra bands hanging off. They didn't know what it meant so they mapped out xdh and mine. Said if either of us had it on our chromosomes, it was genetic and likely meant nothing. Neither of us did so they sent it out to be studied and all reports came back inconclusive. No one knew what it meant. They then suggested I abort :/ Bc they didn't know what it was, they didn't know what life he'd have, if he'd be "mutated", handicapped, etc. The amnio was done to check growth development and maturity. My Ds will be 11 on Wed and there is nothing wrong with him!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ms.Pink.:

I'm a little not sober lol and very sleepy so I can't recall my blood type at the moment, but I do know a genetic chromosome map out and a little later an amnio confirmed no need for the shot.

Wow! What did you need to do an amnio and chromosomal map for? Surely not just to see if you needed a rhogam shot??

.Beloved.
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Yep I had the shot during and after my pregnancies I'm O-
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:38 AM
O- , i got the shots.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Susan0805
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:41 AM
It can be fatal to the mother too... My husband is positive and im negative. I had bleeding with my first pregnancy and was told i was have a misscarriage (she was wrong, my dd was fine but anyway) if my babies' blood mixed with my blood it could make me very ill.
This is why they typically give rhogam after delivery or if you have an bleeding during pregnancy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LizzyPookey1248
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM
I'm rh-, my mom is, my sister is and I'm pretty sure my other two sisters are as well. My mom, sister and I all got the shot while we were pregnant. We all three are A-.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Peytons_Mama09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM
This

Quoting LoveVenus:

Yup i had to get 3 shot 2 during pregnancy and 1 after

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:07 PM

You dont need it before they are born unless there is traums thatmay cause blood mixing.

When she was born, i had her blood tested within 76 hours. As long as you get it within that time period after if your baby is rh pos, its fine.

Quoting Anonymous:

So you knew your daughter was O- before she was born?

Quoting bellaamore:

Im rh negative and i didnt receive it. You only need it in two situations: 

Traumatic physical experience during pregnancy/ birth beoreyou could know the blood type of the baby

Or

You gave birth to an rh positive baby.

My daughter was o neg as well, and i had a trauma free pregnancy and birth

Many times, this shot is given routinely to rh neg women, andthus, they blindly believe theyNEED it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM

yes, I am rh negative and received the shot

bellaamore
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bellaamore:

Im rh negative and i didnt receive it. You only need it in two situations: 

Traumatic physical experience during pregnancy/ birth beoreyou could know the blood type of the baby

Or

You gave birth to an rh positive baby.

My daughter was o neg as well, and i had a trauma free pregnancy and birth

Many times, this shot is given routinely to rh neg women, andthus, they blindly believe theyNEED it.

After the baby is born and they know it is negative too they won't give you another shot. There are many opportunities for mama and baby blood to mix during pregnancy and especially during birth. Without knowing what the baby's blood type is it is best to go ahead and protect.

Now if both mom and dad are negative then no shot is needed because baby will be negative too (unless mama needs to go on Maury lol)

Actually, it is very unlikely for a situation to arise where mother and baby mix blood. Unless, like i said, there is a trauma- like the mother falls, is in a wreck, etc. during birth, if you birthgently, there should be very little, if no blood. My daughter was my first, at ten pounds, ad neither of us bled. Well,untili birthedthe placenta. But she was born by then.

Im o neg, my husband is o pos. 

jnw2992
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Im B- my husband is A+ both our kids are O+ so i had the shot at like 3 months and after delievery i hated that damn shot

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured