Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dogs * what do you recommend?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Homeowner with a decent size yard. Yard will be fenced soon. Someone almost always home. Dog will be inside and outside. 3 children 10, 6 and 2. There will be a newborn next year. I don't care for tiny or very large dogs.

What would you recommend for this family ?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:36 AM
My kids are all over the place hence why the fence is going up for their safety. I would want the dog to run freely in the back yard with the kids. We will take neighborhood walks too so exercise won't be a problem.

Quoting Anonymous:

It also depends on how active your family is. If your more laid back, the something like a basset hound but if your a more energetic family a lab would be good.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:37 AM
Very. Thank you. I will see if I can find any around here.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Me either, but I selected low maintence, not up your butt, requires minimal daily exercise, good with kids, a protector but not a hunter/dominant protector (think not a guard dog) and minimal grooming, as well as good with commands and easy to train.

Interesting looking dog.

Quoting Anonymous:

Never heard of such ! lol I will google !

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Curly-Coated Retriever 100% match

The curly is the most graceful and elegant of the retrievers, appearing longer legged and more agile than the others. It has an alert upright carriage, enabling it to mark downed animals easily, be they fur or feather. It is an active land retriever and a hardy water retriever, able to withstand the rigors of repeated retrieves into heavy thickets or cold waters. Its distinctive coat provides protection from cold and briars and is made up of a dense mass of tight curls

I did a survey online lol.

SOCO101
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:42 AM

I'd say a Cocker Spaniel or some kind of med. size mixed pup from a shelter. Labs are VERY energetic. Don't get me wrong they're good dogs and pretty easily trained. The thing I worry about is one jumping up on your little ones and knocking them down. We have a 1/2 basset 1/2 weenie dog, he's great with dd (2). Not too big, not too little. Schnauzers can be aggressive dogs. We have one, but had to make him an outside dog after dd was born. He just can't be 100% trusted around dd, kwim?

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:44 AM

I love our Boston...best kid dog we have ever had and with all ages. You do have to get past the gas that can clear a room though LOL.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:46 AM
Oh great, the boys will love that.

Quoting sheramom4:

I love our Boston...best kid dog we have ever had and with all ages. You do have to get past the gas that can clear a room though LOL.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh great, the boys will love that.

Quoting sheramom4:

My kids (1 boy, 3 girls) think it is the funniest thing ever. My husband also thinks it is hilarious.

mandifox82
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:51 AM
I have an 8,6 and 4 year old..... We have two labs am breed them.... They are the most gentle dog with my kids!!! My daughter is special needs and my female is always with her!!! They are very protective of the kids and will put up with just about anything from the kids (pulling on ears paws ect) let me know if you have any questions
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
XJetX
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:55 AM
A lot of people give up their Pitbulls because their landlords find out about them and it goes against BSL. If dogs are fought, they are not rehomed because it is too much of a danger to other dogs. However, that is not the dogs fault. He didn't teach himself to fight. A lot I it has to do with BSL within cities and improper training though. I've had pits and they're amazing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never had or known one. Just hear the horror stories. I looked online at the local pounds and one is full of Pitts. The one in the city... Coincidence ?

Quoting XJetX:

I love pits. Ill get bashed for that but Idc. I advocate for the breed. Wonderful family dogs, great with kids, loving personalities, the list goes on and on :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hi_Rae
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:57 AM
Boxer or Pit! Both are awesome family dogs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:58 AM

My favorite breed is the Australian Shepherd. They a smart and well behaved and kid friendly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN