Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dogs * what do you recommend?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Homeowner with a decent size yard. Yard will be fenced soon. Someone almost always home. Dog will be inside and outside. 3 children 10, 6 and 2. There will be a newborn next year. I don't care for tiny or very large dogs.

What would you recommend for this family ?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:26 AM
Replies (141-150):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM

dont get a pug... pugs are not temperature tolerant

taramac
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Boxer, our boxer mix just died on Monday and he was the sweetest dog and was great with my two little boys.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I'm hunting for a xmas puppy. My son has been around all kinds of mixed mutt puppies and adult dogs! I have such a hard time trying to figure what the heck happens.... sometimes he gets a rash when he's around them but we were tested in August for a dog allergy and the results were negative. But when I adopted a puppy over the summer, I had to give the puppy back and get a refund.

He's been around two chihuahua/terrier breeds with NO reaction, both puppies are 11-16 month old and when I was almost ready to adopt another in September, he came home and was red all over! The puppy we were going to get was a collie mix, but he was also oplaying in the dirt with his puppy.

I might just get a small breed puppy! What breed will be good for kids and good to be around other dogs?

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Golden retrievers are great with kids we have a husky and she is a great dog we are going to get a golden in 2-3 years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM
We want a corgi in a year or so :)
Small dog, but playful and cuddly and love kids!
mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM

We got a shepherd lab mix pup 1 wk before wefound out we were pregnant w/#4.  Kids are now 11, 9, 4, 1 & dog is 2...everything's great!

Hi_Rae
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol no that's just a myth started to scare people. They're dogs not alligators :). Our pits are the same way, that tail is more dangerous than they would ever dream of being

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Hmm...that's what I had always heard. Not all pits are used to fight, only certain kinds, I'm not sure what kind, but I do know I've had several pits and NONE of them were mean because we didn't make them mean. All they wanted to do was snuggle. The only thing threatning about them, was their tail. I swear, they'd get so excited and just go to wagging, their tail knocking anything in their path over lol.

Quoting Hi_Rae:

Pits do not have locking jaws. They have the same kind of jaw as any other dog.

http://www.pbrc.net/mediacenter/mediaqa.html

Quoting Anonymous:

Depends on what kind of pit they are. Certain types of pits are notorious for being trained to fight. But any dog will be mean if you make it mean. Pits are fought because IF they bite down their jaw locks up and it's hard for them to open it. BUT my Pomeranian beats the hell out of my pit. I swear, Lola will bite KeeKee's eyelids and everything. KeeKee just smacks Lola away withher paw and makes the "uuuugh poor me" sounds. Pit bulls are pretty smart dogs, anytime KeeKee is being too rough all I have to say is "be easy" and she instantly lightens up.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never had or known one. Just hear the horror stories. I looked online at the local pounds and one is full of Pitts. The one in the city... Coincidence ?

Quoting XJetX:

I love pits. Ill get bashed for that but Idc. I advocate for the breed. Wonderful family dogs, great with kids, loving personalities, the list goes on and on :)

ToYnyc
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Pittbulls have been given a bad rep but they're actually great  pets and are good with kids.

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Border Terriers are freaking ADORABLE.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Runners-up

Spinone Italiano
Spinone Italiano

100% match

Australian Terrier
Australian Terrier

99% match

Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Chesapeake Bay Retriever

99% match

English Setter
English Setter

99% match

Miniature Schnauzer
Miniature Schnauzer

99% match

Norwich Terrier
Norwich Terrier

99% match

Smooth Fox Terrier
Smooth Fox Terrier

99% match

American Foxhound
American Foxhound

98% match

American Water Spaniel
American Water Spaniel

98% match

Bearded Collie
Bearded Collie

98% match

Black and Tan Coonhound
Black and Tan Coonhound

98% match

Border Terrier
Border Terrier

98% match

Runners up lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anitarichman
by Anita on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Golden retreiver or a labradoodle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN