Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dogs * what do you recommend?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Homeowner with a decent size yard. Yard will be fenced soon. Someone almost always home. Dog will be inside and outside. 3 children 10, 6 and 2. There will be a newborn next year. I don't care for tiny or very large dogs.

What would you recommend for this family ?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:03 AM
I think boxers are cute !

Quoting Hi_Rae:

Boxer or Pit! Both are awesome family dogs
zoegirlsmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I will tell you NOT to get a shiba inu. I love Labs, they are the best dog if they are not to big for you.

Justine1123
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:04 AM
I have a miniature schnauzer love her best dog I've ever had. I'd love to get a standard schnauzer or a giant but they are hard to find in shelters in my area and it's the only way I'll buy my dogs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kidlover2
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Boston terrier
King Charles spaniel
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Depends on what kind of pit they are. Certain types of pits are notorious for being trained to fight. But any dog will be mean if you make it mean. Pits are fought because IF they bite down their jaw locks up and it's hard for them to open it. BUT my Pomeranian beats the hell out of my pit. I swear, Lola will bite KeeKee's eyelids and everything. KeeKee just smacks Lola away withher paw and makes the "uuuugh poor me" sounds. Pit bulls are pretty smart dogs, anytime KeeKee is being too rough all I have to say is "be easy" and she instantly lightens up.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never had or known one. Just hear the horror stories. I looked online at the local pounds and one is full of Pitts. The one in the city... Coincidence ?

Quoting XJetX:

I love pits. Ill get bashed for that but Idc. I advocate for the breed. Wonderful family dogs, great with kids, loving personalities, the list goes on and on :)

Tea4Tas
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Quoting PinkyPan:

My favorite breed is the Australian Shepherd. They a smart and well behaved and kid friendly.

No and no and no. I right now have a foster dog- a 2 year old australian shepard -I am his third home. He is a great dog-and was rehomed twice because of his energy and although he is great with kids-he knocks them over. He is a wonderful dog who is in foster care because people with young kids thought this high energy dog was a great choice!  They ARE great dogs-but for people with older kids-5 and up ideally.

They can be jumpy and a walk and a fenced in yard are NOT enough for them-they need a job and a purpose.  Please do not get a high energy herding dog with very young children.

You would need to devote an hour a day to training/exercise with this kind of dog-minimum.  Hard to do that when you have a newborn and everything else to deal with-which is why this poor sweet dog was bounced around so much.

Hi_Rae
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Pits do not have locking jaws. They have the same kind of jaw as any other dog.

http://www.pbrc.net/mediacenter/mediaqa.html

Quoting Anonymous:

Depends on what kind of pit they are. Certain types of pits are notorious for being trained to fight. But any dog will be mean if you make it mean. Pits are fought because IF they bite down their jaw locks up and it's hard for them to open it. BUT my Pomeranian beats the hell out of my pit. I swear, Lola will bite KeeKee's eyelids and everything. KeeKee just smacks Lola away withher paw and makes the "uuuugh poor me" sounds. Pit bulls are pretty smart dogs, anytime KeeKee is being too rough all I have to say is "be easy" and she instantly lightens up.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never had or known one. Just hear the horror stories. I looked online at the local pounds and one is full of Pitts. The one in the city... Coincidence ?

Quoting XJetX:

I love pits. Ill get bashed for that but Idc. I advocate for the breed. Wonderful family dogs, great with kids, loving personalities, the list goes on and on :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
junebaby11
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM
They were meant to be nanny dogs, labs bite just as much people forget no mattet the breed dogs are animals! They do bite they snap just like we do

Quoting XJetX:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM
No it just means there are lots of fools who run out and get the IT puppy and aren't ready for the potty training, chewing on everthing, and needing lots of attention.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting XJetX:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM
My aunts Australian shepherd was mean as hell!

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting PinkyPan:

My favorite breed is the Australian Shepherd. They a smart and well behaved and kid friendly.

No and no and no. I right now have a foster dog- a 2 year old australian shepard -I am his third home. He is a great dog-and was rehomed twice because of his energy and although he is great with kids-he knocks them over. He is a wonderful dog who is in foster care because people with young kids thought this high energy dog was a great choice!  They ARE great dogs-but for people with older kids-5 and up ideally.

They can be jumpy and a walk and a fenced in yard are NOT enough for them-they need a job and a purpose.  Please do not get a high energy herding dog with very young children.

You would need to devote an hour a day to training/exercise with this kind of dog-minimum.  Hard to do that when you have a newborn and everything else to deal with-which is why this poor sweet dog was bounced around so much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN