Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dogs * what do you recommend?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Homeowner with a decent size yard. Yard will be fenced soon. Someone almost always home. Dog will be inside and outside. 3 children 10, 6 and 2. There will be a newborn next year. I don't care for tiny or very large dogs.

What would you recommend for this family ?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:26 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM

None

andersongirl562
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM
We have a German Shepherd Dog who is awesome with our five kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Boxer, very loyal, family oriented, AWESOME with children, smart and easy to train. I love mine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EGNS
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:24 AM

we have a black lab he is great with the kids

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Lab!

Emmie8750
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:29 AM
A golden, collie or a beagle.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Go down to the shelter, they will help match you up with several potential dogs that you will get to meet and greet. Make sure everyone agrees on the choice. Mutts are great because they have less health problems than purebred dogs (purebreds are susceptible to several genetic problems). With a young one on the way, look for a dog about 2-4 years old. Puppies go through that nipping phase and you won't want that qaround a very young one. A young adult would be great.

I always push for adoption, because a lot of dogs are put to sleep. The only reason to buy purebred is if you are going to show2 or have a job for the dog. Also, look at whatever breed you are interested in and make sure that it will fit into your lifestyle.  For example, if you are sedentary and can not give the dog a "job" to do, don't get a border collie or other herding breed. They tend to go slightly crazy when they are given no job to do. Mutts are by far the best way to do it. Good luck!!!

Hi_Rae
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM
They are wonderful with kids. Our boxer put up with so much from my brother, myself and the 3 kids my mom babysat for (ages ranging from 6 months to 9 years) I don't think there was a day the kids she babysat for that the 2 year old didn't run in our house as fast as she could and dive on top of our dog and every single day he would just lay there or roll over and lick her a couple times. He spent hours and hours everyday playing with all of us outside, going on adventures. Until the little little baby become mobile then he became a baby wrangler and would lay in front of that little boy and make sure he never got near anything he shouldn't have. Which to our dog was anywhere off his blanket lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think boxers are cute !

Quoting Hi_Rae:

Boxer or Pit! Both are awesome family dogs

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncohetero
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:38 AM
I like my mini poodles. They are not tiny and frail so my daughter could jump on them but they aren't huge that they could knock her over and they don't shed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3B
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM

An older dog, over 2. One already housetrained, good with kids and not a breed in need of a great deal of exercise. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)