Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dogs * what do you recommend?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Homeowner with a decent size yard. Yard will be fenced soon. Someone almost always home. Dog will be inside and outside. 3 children 10, 6 and 2. There will be a newborn next year. I don't care for tiny or very large dogs.

What would you recommend for this family ?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:26 AM
Replies (51-60):
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Another reason is that most people can't pick an actual pitbull out of a line up. You'd be amazed at how many dogs are misidentified as "pit bulls". Some shelters have even done genetic testing on supposed pits and have been surprised when absolutely no pit bull was found in their dna.

Quoting XJetX:

The only reason for all the media hype is because they can cause more damage with their bite because they are strong dogs. They are actually less likely to bite than most dogs out there!! Dachshunds, Shelties, shepherds, Dalmatians, chihuahuas, chows, and many other smaller breeds are more likely to bite than a pitbull (not limited to smaller breeds, obviously.) but because the bite pressure isn't as strong and the damage isn't as great, the incidents aren't reported as often. It doesn't help that people fight these amazing dogs, and the reason they do is not only their strength, but their loyalty to their owner. They want nothing more than to please their owner. So if fighting is what they see that their owner wants and make them happy, then they will do it to the best if their ability. Not to be vicious, but to keep their owner happy. Sadly, the only ones hurt by this are the dogs. If they survive this torture, they can't be rehomed because they have been conditioned to be so aggressive towards other dogs that they are now a danger and threat if they are so much as being walked by a new owner. Yet they would be like pudding in the hands of their new human. It breaks my heart. I wish there were a way to better regulate who can have them, or any dog for that matter.

Quoting junebaby11:

They were meant to be nanny dogs, labs bite just as much people forget no mattet the breed dogs are animals! They do bite they snap just like we do

Quoting XJetX:

I love pits. Ill get bashed for that but Idc. I advocate for the breed. Wonderful family dogs, great with kids, loving personalities, the list goes on and on :)

Nunyabusiness
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:03 AM

German shephard or a lab. We have always always always had a German shephard. First one passed away from a snake bite, second one we gave to dh's sister because they wanted a dog and couldn't do a puppy for sil's health reasons, and we have another one. All of them are so smart, so well behaved, so calm, just serious chewers that first year. 

Amy_M
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Mixed breed, they have far less health problems and in my experience have been the BEST dogs!  Go to the pound and pick out a cutie!

crazygirl907
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Quoting XJetX:

I love pits. Ill get bashed for that but Idc. I advocate for the breed. Wonderful family dogs, great with kids, loving personalities, the list goes on and on :)

Pits are so sweet! I want one, halfway convinced dh to get one lol. 

Fightclmembr
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:05 AM

We have a Weimaraner. She's great. Quiet, tolerant, great constant companion for the kids, protective, and has the energy to play in the yard with the kids!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:06 AM

a cat...

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I do not currently own a pit bull, but I have in the past. They are amazing dogs, but they do require a strong leader. They will tend toward animal aggression (it is bred into them), but human aggression has historically not been tolerated. Back when they were used for bull-baiting and fighting, the human "referee" had to be able to step in at any time. Human aggression was NEVER tolerated in the breed. The animal aggression can be dealt with, as long as an owner is willing to socialize and be a strong leader for the dog. Of course, I generally believe that most people don't need dogs because they are not properly caring for the dogs mental and emotional needs. Dogs are not tiny humans, they are dogs. They need to be understood and treated as dogs. Most behaivor issues are not a dog problem, but a human problem.

Quoting XJetX:

Lol yea I did mean to reply to her, not you. It never ceases to amaze me in regards to the myths about these dogs. It's sad. I love and respect them so much! In the early 1900's, children were left alone with them for protection :) no other dog has that claim. A pitbull is also the most decorated dog in war history

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

That's what i was saying lol. I think you meant to reply to the same person I was talking to. I put in a link to a website that dispells many myths about pitbulls.

Quoting XJetX:

That's a myth. A pits jaws do not 'lock'. They just don't let go till they're damn well good and ready

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

The jaws locking is a myth. They are "game" dogs, which means they are tenacious. They hold on by sheer will power, there is no locking mechanism in their jaws. They know what their job is and they only hold on to please the owner. They were bred to take down bulls and pigs, animals that would hurt them, they were bred to ignore pain and hang on. Here is a video of a bull terrier hanging on while a bull beats the crap out of it:

It's not in English, but the dog savews the man's life. It is a bull terrier, one of the breeds used to make the pit bull. The dog holds on only because it wants to, not because it is locked.

Quoting Anonymous:

Depends on what kind of pit they are. Certain types of pits are notorious for being trained to fight. But any dog will be mean if you make it mean. Pits are fought because IF they bite down their jaw locks up and it's hard for them to open it. BUT my Pomeranian beats the hell out of my pit. I swear, Lola will bite KeeKee's eyelids and everything. KeeKee just smacks Lola away withher paw and makes the "uuuugh poor me" sounds. Pit bulls are pretty smart dogs, anytime KeeKee is being too rough all I have to say is "be easy" and she instantly lightens up.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never had or known one. Just hear the horror stories. I looked online at the local pounds and one is full of Pitts. The one in the city... Coincidence ?

Quoting XJetX:

BrittM1988
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I personally belive Cavilier King Charles Spaniels are the best breed. I have one, and he is AMAZING with my kids, 2 and 10 months.. has never so much as growled at them as they climb all over him

XJetX
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Yup! Preso canario, staffies, American bulldog, dogue du bordeaux, and many others.

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Another reason is that most people can't pick an actual pitbull out of a line up. You'd be amazed at how many dogs are misidentified as "pit bulls". Some shelters have even done genetic testing on supposed pits and have been surprised when absolutely no pit bull was found in their dna.

Quoting XJetX:

The only reason for all the media hype is because they can cause more damage with their bite because they are strong dogs. They are actually less likely to bite than most dogs out there!! Dachshunds, Shelties, shepherds, Dalmatians, chihuahuas, chows, and many other smaller breeds are more likely to bite than a pitbull (not limited to smaller breeds, obviously.) but because the bite pressure isn't as strong and the damage isn't as great, the incidents aren't reported as often. It doesn't help that people fight these amazing dogs, and the reason they do is not only their strength, but their loyalty to their owner. They want nothing more than to please their owner. So if fighting is what they see that their owner wants and make them happy, then they will do it to the best if their ability. Not to be vicious, but to keep their owner happy. Sadly, the only ones hurt by this are the dogs. If they survive this torture, they can't be rehomed because they have been conditioned to be so aggressive towards other dogs that they are now a danger and threat if they are so much as being walked by a new owner. Yet they would be like pudding in the hands of their new human. It breaks my heart. I wish there were a way to better regulate who can have them, or any dog for that matter.

Quoting junebaby11:

They were meant to be nanny dogs, labs bite just as much people forget no mattet the breed dogs are animals! They do bite they snap just like we do

Quoting XJetX:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Don't get a pitbul. I don't care if they are agressive or not. Blah. They are just such ugly looking dogs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)