Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you happy at the bottom?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 263 Replies
25 moms liked this

I keep seeing all of these posts about how its unfair that powerful, educated people who innovate make more money than unskilled laborers. 

Isn't this America, the land of opportunity? Don't they let anyone over 18 with a hs diploma or ged into community college? The bottom rungs of the ladder that you need to climb are accessible to all. There may be obstacles along the way, but most everyone COULD climb if they wanted to. 

You lacking the ambition to get to the top doesn't mean we should punish those who do. Those who climb generally deserve the rewards that come with the climb. 

So if you have your diploma or GED and are sad with your current wages, why are you not climbing? Do you not want a better life? Are you happy where you are? 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM
5 moms liked this
I am not. Which is why I am working two jobs and getting my masters degree.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM
4 moms liked this

no im not happy were i am , thats why i started my own business last month and its doing great , i will be able to quit my regular job very soon

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM
21 moms liked this

Because people are fucking lazy.

mom_3.0
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM
4 moms liked this
I think I love you. I have the exact same opinion & have been saying that for years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
Just imagine how much people could accomplish after they accept that there is no god. No god to blame. No god to thank. No god to praise. No god to grant or deny requests. No predetermined plan. Just imagine the possibilities that would come with that one realization that people have to take ownership of themselves, their choices, and their moral obligations.
Today at 10:57 AM
by Babushka Blockparty on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM
29 moms liked this

It's not just money, though.

People who are successful often had opportunities those raised in poverty didn't have access to. Now, my dad was born into poverty, pulled himself out of it, and is now quite wealthy. Other (Most?) people do not. Conversely, other people who are in that same income bracket as my father are trust-fund babies or they made some nice investing decisions back in the day.

The issue I take with your post is that you seem to define success by how much money one makes, not how one makes money. I'll agree with you that I've also had enough of people's bitching and whining, but I can understand their frustration when they discuss how skewed and unjust the system is. The economy is broken., Yeah, you can still succeed in a broken economy, but it's going to be that much more frustrating of a process.

But claiming people are "lazy" or that they "feel entitled" is just really oversimplifying the issue. We do have a labor force here. We do have people that want to work.

slightlyperfect

MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:38 AM
10 moms liked this
I was miserable on the bottom, after my divorce. I got my GED (at age 31), thought long and hard about how much money I wanted to be able to make, researched careers with that potential, picked one (court reporter) and researched some more to make sure it was a growing field (I can use my skill in a few different ways, not just sitting in the courtroom), then went to school and did what it took to become what I wanted to be.

I had no car, no job and I was one step above being homeless when I went back to school. I also had 2 kids. No excuses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:41 AM

i want to start school, but theres literally no time. i work full time, and im a single mom who gets no child support. yes, i can take my core classes online, but what do i do when i have done those, and actually have to attend? im not upset by those who are doing well. im bummed im not, but you know....it will happen eventually.  IF the ecoomy gets better. im not gonna take out loans for a degree im not gonna use. thats what MANY people are experiencing now. college degrees and working fast food

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

College is not for everyone.....you can't pigeon hole people into jobs that are, "better", but make the person miserable. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM

What field are you interested in? Health professions and the sciences seem to be the only fields that don't have online degree programs. 

Even if something like nursing is your first choice, do you think you could be happy with a different profession? Something like a business degree can be used in most every field. 

Quoting Anonymous:

i want to start school, but theres literally no time. i work full time, and im a single mom who gets no child support. yes, i can take my core classes online, but what do i do when i have done those, and actually have to attend? im not upset by those who are doing well. im bummed im not, but you know....it will happen eventually.  IF the ecoomy gets better. im not gonna take out loans for a degree im not gonna use. thats what MANY people are experiencing now. college degrees and working fast food

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think opportunities are accessible to everyone. The majority of people can work really hard and and make some progress up the ladder, but there are other people that just have no chance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)