Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you happy at the bottom?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I keep seeing all of these posts about how its unfair that powerful, educated people who innovate make more money than unskilled laborers. 

Isn't this America, the land of opportunity? Don't they let anyone over 18 with a hs diploma or ged into community college? The bottom rungs of the ladder that you need to climb are accessible to all. There may be obstacles along the way, but most everyone COULD climb if they wanted to. 

You lacking the ambition to get to the top doesn't mean we should punish those who do. Those who climb generally deserve the rewards that come with the climb. 

So if you have your diploma or GED and are sad with your current wages, why are you not climbing? Do you not want a better life? Are you happy where you are? 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I kind of have to agree on this one. My DH was all pissed off because after 9 years in the army he couldn't find a job making good money. Well. . .I had to tell him, that's fair! You didn't learn any skills usable in the workforce (shooting people is NOT work experience), and he never took advantage of college that you can get if you put forth a bit of effort while you're still in the army. So, after a few years of being disappointed with his income, he went back to school. He has now graduated and is making better money. I just don't get why people think they are owed anything. You get what you work for! I know people say they have a degree but can't find work, but there are a number of reasons for that. You're degree is not in high demand. You're in a bad area that is lacking jobs in your field. You're not trying hard enough. Sorry, but that's my opinion. No one I know who has a degree is in need of a job, and that includes family and friends in four different states.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:39 AM
What does your husband do?

Quoting myperfect4inok:

My husband has no college degree and makes good money.

I have no college degree and was making $35,000 a year. Before I quit and took a huge cut in pay because I was miserable. Now I stay at home and we do just fine.

And here in this town, many people would love to have our income even if they have college degrees.

So sometimes its not all about the degree.

Retrokitty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Fast food is waaaay harder then any job I will have with my degree.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  Life is a series of choices. Unfortunately many of those choices must begin when you are a child.  If you grew up in poverty, but applied yourself to school, many kids would qualify for scholarships and other means to get out of poverty.  Waiting until it is to late to apply yourself, or making foolish decisions that forever change the outcome of your life, make it extremely difficult to rise out of a bad situation. 

America is a land of opportunity and everyone can succeed if they really want to.  It is difficult but not impossible.

I understand there are situations and difficulties for many that hinder this.  different disabilities for example. But being raised in poverty is no excuse to poor decision making.  there are too many successful people out there who have risen out of poverty or low economic status and become highly successful.  One great example is Herman Cain.  He grew up in a highly segregated south to a father that worked three jobs just to keep his family afloat, and he became a front-runner in the Republican presidential candidate race. 

Now not everyone in poverty will become that successful, but they can always try.  And if they don't wait too long to apply themselves, they may have a different yet just as awe inspiring story.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I don't know. One of my best friends is a biomedical engineer and cannot get into the field. I'm sure she will eventually but it's not easy to find intro level jobs in most occupations.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I kind of have to agree on this one. My DH was all pissed off because after 9 years in the army he couldn't find a job making good money. Well. . .I had to tell him, that's fair! You didn't learn any skills usable in the workforce (shooting people is NOT work experience), and he never took advantage of college that you can get if you put forth a bit of effort while you're still in the army. So, after a few years of being disappointed with his income, he went back to school. He has now graduated and is making better money. I just don't get why people think they are owed anything. You get what you work for! I know people say they have a degree but can't find work, but there are a number of reasons for that. You're degree is not in high demand. You're in a bad area that is lacking jobs in your field. You're not trying hard enough. Sorry, but that's my opinion. No one I know who has a degree is in need of a job, and that includes family and friends in four different states.

Audreysmommy123
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry but a lot of jobs that you get that you really want only giveyou about 10 dollars an hour and then you have a 135000 worth of debt to pay off. Not saying that I'm not going to do it but I do know a lot of people who work and get paid better then some of those who attend college
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I have a very useless degree. I could be better off for sure, but mainly because of lack of health insurance due to the fact that I'm self employed. Sucsk to spend money and time on a degree only to be informed that you'll make less than 40K per year as a teacher (I went to school for music performance).

I've learned to adjust and we're happy that your marriage is good and kids are happy. I only make 50K per year. We adjust. We're happy. We're close. Could we be happer with more money? Sure. Is it the end all, know all? NO WAY.

workingmommy87
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Its just personal opinion, but i think that if childcare were much cheaper, we'd be better off as a whole economy.

MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM
It's a skill, so the faster you can master the skill, the faster you can graduate. It is a degree program, not a certificate or anything else, the good news is you as an LPN have most of the academics requires (psychology, med terms, a&p, English...) so you'd only have to take the few that are court reporting specific. The average length of time start to finish is 2 years. Most of the people I went with averaged 2 1/2 years, one girl took 7 years. Like anything else, it's about what you put into it. I made $68,000 my first working year. $45,000 the next year, but that is because I quit working in the middle of the year when I got pregnant and my baby's only 4 months now, so I haven't gone back. I started out in a state that has a court reporting school, I went on campus full time for a year and a half. Then I moved and transferred to my school's online division, and honestly, it was amazing. I never put much stock into online classes, but it worked out so well, I almost wish I had been online the whole time. Here's the website for my school: www.crid.com and feel free to ask me anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Question for you, I'm looking for a change in careers currently I'm an LPN. How many years of school and do you know what the average starting income for your field of work?

Quoting MommyAddie:

I was miserable on the bottom, after my divorce. I got my GED (at age 31), thought long and hard about how much money I wanted to be able to make, researched careers with that potential, picked one (court reporter) and researched some more to make sure it was a growing field (I can use my skill in a few different ways, not just sitting in the courtroom), then went to school and did what it took to become what I wanted to be.

I had no car, no job and I was one step above being homeless when I went back to school. I also had 2 kids. No excuses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this
I paid my own way through college, came from an abusive drug addicted home and I made it. My husband did the same. He's an executive and I have a very lucrative career.

We had to get of our asses and take those minimum wage jobs every one else sticks their noses up at and work our way up.

No one gave us anything. We are not millionaires we make about $300k a year, but we still keep trying an climbing. So one day we may be. Because WE worked for it, and never looked for the easy way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured