Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you happy at the bottom?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I keep seeing all of these posts about how its unfair that powerful, educated people who innovate make more money than unskilled laborers. 

Isn't this America, the land of opportunity? Don't they let anyone over 18 with a hs diploma or ged into community college? The bottom rungs of the ladder that you need to climb are accessible to all. There may be obstacles along the way, but most everyone COULD climb if they wanted to. 

You lacking the ambition to get to the top doesn't mean we should punish those who do. Those who climb generally deserve the rewards that come with the climb. 

So if you have your diploma or GED and are sad with your current wages, why are you not climbing? Do you not want a better life? Are you happy where you are? 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (181-190):
Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this
So what would happen if everybody did work their way to the top?

There wouldn't be enough jobs for all of them and we would be seriously lacking in areas we need on a daily basis.

We need those unskilled laborers.

Would you like to cook dinner every night. Cause there wouldn't be any cooks, waiters, waitresses, fish washers, bartenders, or bud boys anymore.

Where would you get your last minute needs when there are no longer workers to keep them open?

You don't mind watching 80 year old women move heavy furniture into their house?

Malls would have to close down.

Everybody would have to clean their homes but their business space.

No more laundry mats or dry cleaners.

The point is that we need these people. All they want for their work is to be paid a living wage. Not mansions and millions of dollars but a home and money to raise their kids and maybe a night every once in awhile. They also would like you to understand that they work their asses off and are far from lazy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Quoting storkneedsgps:

Reality check: that's not going to happen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Someone has to be at the "bottom". Sometimes it is okay to be at the "bottom".

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

College costs money you know, even community college.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM
I have a masters . Make very good money. Plan on getting doctorate eventually ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Bottom is all relative. 

lipsis
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

My husband's degree cost $90,000. But he was unemployed for a year and a half before getting a job, which was a good job ($65,000), but still. But the saludictorian of his graduating class didn't have such an easy time with job placement. He lives with his mom and delivers pizza. And has almost six figures of debt. And you can't get rid of federal loans, even with bankruptcy.

Quoting Anonymous:

i want to start school, but theres literally no time. i work full time, and im a single mom who gets no child support. yes, i can take my core classes online, but what do i do when i have done those, and actually have to attend? im not upset by those who are doing well. im bummed im not, but you know....it will happen eventually.  IF the ecoomy gets better. im not gonna take out loans for a degree im not gonna use. thats what MANY people are experiencing now. college degrees and working fast food

Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

That's exciting. What business are you in?

Quoting Anonymous:

no im not happy were i am , thats why i started my own business last month and its doing great , i will be able to quit my regular job very soon

treystiredmommy
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I have a job that I LOVE! but unfortunately it only pays 12.00 an hour.  Of course I hope to move up in the field but for now I am happy.  I have enough to take care of my family with.  There arent a lot of extras but we survive.  One day we will thrive.  But as long as I love my job I will continue to do what I do.

MorganTho
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM
The myth of meritocracy!

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

It's not just money, though.

People who are successful often had opportunities those raised in poverty didn't have access to. Now, my dad was born into poverty, pulled himself out of it, and is now quite wealthy. Other (Most?) people do not. Conversely, other people who are in that same income bracket as my father are trust-fund babies or they made some nice investing decisions back in the day.

The issue I take with your post is that you seem to define success by how much money one makes, not how one makes money. I'll agree with you that I've also had enough of people's bitching and whining, but I can understand their frustration when they discuss how skewed and unjust the system is. The economy is broken., Yeah, you can still succeed in a broken economy, but it's going to be that much more frustrating of a process.

But claiming people are "lazy" or that they "feel entitled" is just really oversimplifying the issue. We do have a labor force here. We do have people that want to work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured