Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you happy at the bottom?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I keep seeing all of these posts about how its unfair that powerful, educated people who innovate make more money than unskilled laborers. 

Isn't this America, the land of opportunity? Don't they let anyone over 18 with a hs diploma or ged into community college? The bottom rungs of the ladder that you need to climb are accessible to all. There may be obstacles along the way, but most everyone COULD climb if they wanted to. 

You lacking the ambition to get to the top doesn't mean we should punish those who do. Those who climb generally deserve the rewards that come with the climb. 

So if you have your diploma or GED and are sad with your current wages, why are you not climbing? Do you not want a better life? Are you happy where you are? 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM
If your from a poor family to start with you are screwed. And also lack support even worse.
lokilover
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Without the "uneducated" laborers to make their products inventors and entrepreneurs would have nothing. Do you think that society could function if everyone was a CEO?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
My dad grew up with four older brothers & they were poor. He worked his ass off his entire life & he retired at 55. He will always be my reason for trying my best & never giving up!
mom2ljh
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Well we aren't at the bottom. We are pretty middle of the rung. I'm in school to pursue my dreams. I am in my junior year as a bio major/premed student.
I couldn't do it without support though. You can't major in bio online so without the support of my amazing husband and family in helping with our son, I wouldn't be able to attend on campus. So, I understand why some may want to go to school but can't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I can't imagine there is anyone out there who would be more miserable in a career (of their choice) compared to being a factory worker or cashier. If you enjoy factory work, wouldn't being a supervisor at the factory be an improvement? If you like retail, wouldn't being the district manager be an improvement? If you enjoy auto repair, wouldn't being certified and able to being a lead repair man in a big shop be more fun than being the guy who wipes your windows down at the 10 min oil change place?

I really have a hard time imagining anyone is 100% happy at their min wage job and wants to stay there for life. I get it, I have a friend who is the store manager for a retail chain. She loves her job. She loves her company. But she is still  going to school because she wants to be the regional manager someday. She has no plans to leave the company or leave retail, but she wants more for herself and her family.

Sometimes, even if you are happy saying "would you like fries with that," you need to think of your children and consider working for over $8/hr. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

College is not for everyone.....you can't pigeon hole people into jobs that are, "better", but make the person miserable. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

i was going for medical, but like you said. i would go for something different, but where i live isnt like most other places. a buisness degree would do me no good here. we are a small place, not really rising in technology, or businesses. im racking my brain to figure out what my next move is. jump in and take a chance? theres a veterinarian working at our local ff place.

Quoting Anonymous:

What field are you interested in? Health professions and the sciences seem to be the only fields that don't have online degree programs. 

Even if something like nursing is your first choice, do you think you could be happy with a different profession? Something like a business degree can be used in most every field. 

Quoting Anonymous:

i want to start school, but theres literally no time. i work full time, and im a single mom who gets no child support. yes, i can take my core classes online, but what do i do when i have done those, and actually have to attend? im not upset by those who are doing well. im bummed im not, but you know....it will happen eventually.  IF the ecoomy gets better. im not gonna take out loans for a degree im not gonna use. thats what MANY people are experiencing now. college degrees and working fast food

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM

No, we can't all be the CEO. My DH is a CS grad student though and he can join a team and invent a robot to pull the handle at the factory and replace the unskilled laborers. Likewise, we could just reprogram the order screen at McDonalds, replace the front end workers, and simply place our own order. (We would actually get our own order right!) 

Technology has been replacing the lower end unskilled laborer jobs for years. Get with the times or be laid off when your job is automated.

Quoting lokilover:

Without the "uneducated" laborers to make their products inventors and entrepreneurs would have nothing. Do you think that society could function if everyone was a CEO?

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Leadership is not for everyone, you don't have a single person in your familial or friend circle that you know is not capable of doing anything more than they are and yet they're happy and also not everyone has children or even wants them.  I know more childless people now than I do parents.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't imagine there is anyone out there who would be more miserable in a career (of their choice) compared to being a factory worker or cashier. If you enjoy factory work, wouldn't being a supervisor at the factory be an improvement? If you like retail, wouldn't being the district manager be an improvement? If you enjoy auto repair, wouldn't being certified and able to being a lead repair man in a big shop be more fun than being the guy who wipes your windows down at the 10 min oil change place?

I really have a hard time imagining anyone is 100% happy at their min wage job and wants to stay there for life. I get it, I have a friend who is the store manager for a retail chain. She loves her job. She loves her company. But she is still  going to school because she wants to be the regional manager someday. She has no plans to leave the company or leave retail, but she wants more for herself and her family.

Sometimes, even if you are happy saying "would you like fries with that," you need to think of your children and consider working for over $8/hr. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

College is not for everyone.....you can't pigeon hole people into jobs that are, "better", but make the person miserable. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM

So, you know how the US loves to fly planes full of food to 3rd world countries to feed the poor? Why don't we fly in the plane that normally contains the food, but fly it in empty and put the people on it and move them to the food? It seems like a no brainer.

If your area has no jobs then GO WHERE THE JOBS ARE. There are plenty of small town reasonably priced communities that are within a 30 min commute of a good paying job.

Quoting Anonymous:

i was going for medical, but like you said. i would go for something different, but where i live isnt like most other places. a buisness degree would do me no good here. we are a small place, not really rising in technology, or businesses. im racking my brain to figure out what my next move is. jump in and take a chance? theres a veterinarian working at our local ff place.

Quoting Anonymous:

What field are you interested in? Health professions and the sciences seem to be the only fields that don't have online degree programs. 

Even if something like nursing is your first choice, do you think you could be happy with a different profession? Something like a business degree can be used in most every field. 

Quoting Anonymous:

i want to start school, but theres literally no time. i work full time, and im a single mom who gets no child support. yes, i can take my core classes online, but what do i do when i have done those, and actually have to attend? im not upset by those who are doing well. im bummed im not, but you know....it will happen eventually.  IF the ecoomy gets better. im not gonna take out loans for a degree im not gonna use. thats what MANY people are experiencing now. college degrees and working fast food

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM
3 moms liked this

How so? This is the US, we spoon-feed the poor. We have job corps that will give young, poor at-risk young adults a job skill of some kind  with free food and housing while they attend. We have grant money for the poor. You can go to community college for free and get $1000 back per semester in grant money. While CC isn't the best, you can get some kind of job skill to help you support yourself. Massage therapy and nursing school and network admin training and certs and auto repair training and certs, and dental hygentist training, etc., can all be completed in community college with grant funds. 

The only thing holding the poor back is the mindset that they are stuck.

What kind of support do you need to attend school? Here, have a pat on the back. You can do it. There, now I have given you support. Go to school.

Quoting Anonymous:

If your from a poor family to start with you are screwed. And also lack support even worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN