Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you happy at the bottom?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I keep seeing all of these posts about how its unfair that powerful, educated people who innovate make more money than unskilled laborers. 

Isn't this America, the land of opportunity? Don't they let anyone over 18 with a hs diploma or ged into community college? The bottom rungs of the ladder that you need to climb are accessible to all. There may be obstacles along the way, but most everyone COULD climb if they wanted to. 

You lacking the ambition to get to the top doesn't mean we should punish those who do. Those who climb generally deserve the rewards that come with the climb. 

So if you have your diploma or GED and are sad with your current wages, why are you not climbing? Do you not want a better life? Are you happy where you are? 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (21-30):
smushy79
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I love this post and response!! So true. All they do is complain... Well do something to change your predicament! Will it be easy? Nope! That's where hard work comes in.

Quoting mom_3.0:

I think I love you. I have the exact same opinion & have been saying that for years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smushy79
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM
This is partly true...it is harder, but still can be done.

Quoting Anonymous:

If your from a poor family to start with you are screwed. And also lack support even worse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM

if im supporting my kids ok now, they have everything they need and extras, then why should i take EVERYTHING away from them, so i could take a chance and get a BETTER job? i understand people do it everyday, but im not one of them. i refuse to take EVERYTHING from my kids, just so mommy can make more a month, even though i do ok now. the areas around here- it wont be an hour away move. it would be HOURS. instead of my kids growing up in a hs with a small graduating class, with the same kids their whole lives, im not putting them in a big city school where things wont be the same? my kids are more important than money to me...

Quoting Anonymous:

So, you know how the US loves to fly planes full of food to 3rd world countries to feed the poor? Why don't we fly in the plane that normally contains the food, but fly it in empty and put the people on it and move them to the food? It seems like a no brainer.

If your area has no jobs then GO WHERE THE JOBS ARE. There are plenty of small town reasonably priced communities that are within a 30 min commute of a good paying job.

Quoting Anonymous:

i was going for medical, but like you said. i would go for something different, but where i live isnt like most other places. a buisness degree would do me no good here. we are a small place, not really rising in technology, or businesses. im racking my brain to figure out what my next move is. jump in and take a chance? theres a veterinarian working at our local ff place.

Quoting Anonymous:

What field are you interested in? Health professions and the sciences seem to be the only fields that don't have online degree programs. 

Even if something like nursing is your first choice, do you think you could be happy with a different profession? Something like a business degree can be used in most every field. 

Quoting Anonymous:

i want to start school, but theres literally no time. i work full time, and im a single mom who gets no child support. yes, i can take my core classes online, but what do i do when i have done those, and actually have to attend? im not upset by those who are doing well. im bummed im not, but you know....it will happen eventually.  IF the ecoomy gets better. im not gonna take out loans for a degree im not gonna use. thats what MANY people are experiencing now. college degrees and working fast food

Cochise
by Dawn on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I wouldn't want to be any other place !

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM

personally i have my bachelors so i cant really say- but i do know that college isnt for everyone. if your "at the bottom" and ure not happy u should step up and do something to better yourself but i dont nessasarily think college is ALWAYS the answer. 

TexasWife
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM

At the current moment. I am happy I have a job. Would I love a better job of course. Who doesn't always look further. I feel blessed that I have this job since I had been out of the work force for 3 years. Everybody has to start somewhere. I am going to be supporting my husband going back to school to finally pursue his dreams. He had wanted this forever. However, when he graduated high school he had the responsibility to take on 3 jobs and support his family. His father lost his job. My husband paid all their bills including their car payment to make sure that his brothers and sister didn't know what was going on. It took his dad a good year to finally find a job. I don't get jealous or think I deserve something. I do however dream about things. Like I dream about own a home and never renting again.

PinkParadox
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM
3 moms liked this
The system wouldn't function if everyone were on top. Our country wouldn't run without manual labor. Therefore, the system is designed to keep a percentage of people there. It's "possible" to get out....but extremely improbable. In some cases, it would literally take a few generations for an average family to rise from true poverty....even working themselves to death. People want to make things black and white, but the reality is multifaceted. Period.
EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM

My husband is happy where he is, he's highly educated and makes quite a bit. But I feel wrong not being as educated as he is and not making anything, contributing to the family income. It's not just the money, but it's the need to learn and form a meaningful career. I'm looking forward to going back to university.

momma2mms
by Kristin on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Not true! My parents were both poor as you can be growing up. My parents are extremely successful and no one helped them one bit. Hard work and determination go a long way.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

It's not just money, though.

People who are successful often had opportunities those raised in poverty didn't have access to. Now, my dad was born into poverty, pulled himself out of it, and is now quite wealthy. Other (Most?) people do not. Conversely, other people who are in that same income bracket as my father are trust-fund babies or they made some nice investing decisions back in the day.

The issue I take with your post is that you seem to define success by how much money one makes, not how one makes money. I'll agree with you that I've also had enough of people's bitching and whining, but I can understand their frustration when they discuss how skewed and unjust the system is. The economy is broken., Yeah, you can still succeed in a broken economy, but it's going to be that much more frustrating of a process.

But claiming people are "lazy" or that they "feel entitled" is just really oversimplifying the issue. We do have a labor force here. We do have people that want to work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM
I don't need schooling. Ty

Its not so black and white as you think.

And also some kids don't want to do something that requires university or college. Not everyone wants to be a lawyer or Dr. And someone has to do the dirty jobs that rich people would never do. We wouldn't get far without the people willing to do those jobs. So I do think they should be paid well especially if what they do is vital and dangerous .

Quoting Anonymous:

How so? This is the US, we spoon-feed the poor. We have job corps that will give young, poor at-risk young adults a job skill of some kind  with free food and housing while they attend. We have grant money for the poor. You can go to community college for free and get $1000 back per semester in grant money. While CC isn't the best, you can get some kind of job skill to help you support yourself. Massage therapy and nursing school and network admin training and certs and auto repair training and certs, and dental hygentist training, etc., can all be completed in community college with grant funds. 

The only thing holding the poor back is the mindset that they are stuck.

What kind of support do you need to attend school? Here, have a pat on the back. You can do it. There, now I have given you support. Go to school.

Quoting Anonymous:

If your from a poor family to start with you are screwed. And also lack support even worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)