Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you happy at the bottom?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I keep seeing all of these posts about how its unfair that powerful, educated people who innovate make more money than unskilled laborers. 

Isn't this America, the land of opportunity? Don't they let anyone over 18 with a hs diploma or ged into community college? The bottom rungs of the ladder that you need to climb are accessible to all. There may be obstacles along the way, but most everyone COULD climb if they wanted to. 

You lacking the ambition to get to the top doesn't mean we should punish those who do. Those who climb generally deserve the rewards that come with the climb. 

So if you have your diploma or GED and are sad with your current wages, why are you not climbing? Do you not want a better life? Are you happy where you are? 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (221-230):
moneysaver6
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Yup.  Same here.  My husband went to college, but he has no degree.  A degree rarely has any bearing on whether or not someone is hired in his line of work.  It's all about talent & experience.

Quoting myperfect4inok:

My husband has no college degree and makes good money.
I have no college degree and was making $35,000 a year. Before I quit and took a huge cut in pay because I was miserable. Now I stay at home and we do just fine.
And here in this town, many people would love to have our income even if they have college degrees.
So sometimes its not all about the degree.

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:22 AM

There are plenty of public schools that are cheaper than UCLA.  One can also obtain the first 2 years of their edcuation at a community college to further reduce the cost of their education.

Quoting LectioDivina:

lol When I went to UCLA which was a state school it was about that much a year. I can imagine it's even more now because of increased fees and such. and it's about 100,000 all together, not 20,000.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, obviously. That is why not everyone gets to go to the top schools.

There are plenty of 4 year PUBLIC universities that are more affordable. Look at Eastern/Northern/Western/Southern/Central (your state) University. Usually the public non-top state universities are more around $10-15k per year. Most of those state keep their tuition controlled so you can afford 30 credits per year including books with grants and loans.

Is it not worth $20,000 in total loans to get a better job and have a better life? Make an investment in yourself.

Quoting LectioDivina:

27 thousand dollars a year is not exactly accessible to everyone once the time comes for a Bachelors

Candymonster
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:25 AM
1 mom liked this

elliem87
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

no im not happy were i am , thats why i started my own business last month and its doing great , i will be able to quit my regular job very soon

What is your business?
winkyloafer
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Are YOU happy with being on the bottom?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:11 AM
I wasn't happy on the bottom. That's why dh and I worked herd together to get where we are. We are extremely happy with the results but there's always room to move up higher :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Love!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 46 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM

i agree.  there are too many people these days with zero foresight about their future and only live in the present. i partied hard but i also kept my future in mind so i worked hard, studied hard, graduated with honors from college and worked my ass off to establish myself in my career.  after a while, the partying goes away and what you're left with are the fruits of your labor.  if you did not work at all or scraped by, then you are left with minimum wage jobs that everyone else is clawing for and struggling to make ends meet.

not saying that college is the key to success but it's a good foot in the door.   i know a lot of people who have a talent/skill that did not require them to go to college but they worked so hard to get where they wanted to be and are now reaping the benefits.

not everyone born in poverty are trapped to continue to cycle.  we had so little growing up and i busted my ass to put myself through school.  i vowed to never be in the same financial situation as my parents and worked hard to achieve that.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Child and youth care. I can work anywhere from mental health to working in a school or with individual children through and agency or government.

Quoting moneysaver6:

What is your degree?  What kind of a job can you get (or do you have) with that degree?

Quoting Retrokitty:

Fast food is waaaay harder then any job I will have with my degree.

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM

The point is that we all have the opportunity to move up and better our lives financially should we so desire.  It is absolutely accessible for everyone.  I faced a similar situation. I couldn't obtain government help or student loans.  Instead, I worked to pay cash for my schooling.  Some do make choices that make doing so more difficult. There's nothing wrong with that.  I faced the same choices.  Instead of marriage, kids, then school, I chose school, then marriage, then kids.

Quoting rockinmomnwife:

I agree with you in a way but at the same time I look at our family situation. My husband is in community college right now and applied for FAFSA... his next semester he is unable to pay for because FAFSA would not pay for all of it and we do not make enough money to pay for it ourselves. It is not accesible for everyone. We are relying on his military benefits to come through but is has been 3 plus months into the semester and nothing yet. We have been living off of 260 or so a week income and without food stamps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN