Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you happy at the bottom?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I keep seeing all of these posts about how its unfair that powerful, educated people who innovate make more money than unskilled laborers. 

Isn't this America, the land of opportunity? Don't they let anyone over 18 with a hs diploma or ged into community college? The bottom rungs of the ladder that you need to climb are accessible to all. There may be obstacles along the way, but most everyone COULD climb if they wanted to. 

You lacking the ambition to get to the top doesn't mean we should punish those who do. Those who climb generally deserve the rewards that come with the climb. 

So if you have your diploma or GED and are sad with your current wages, why are you not climbing? Do you not want a better life? Are you happy where you are? 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (231-240):
moneysaver6
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Exactly.  We all make choices that affect how difficult it will be to move up financially.  It's okay that each of us makes different choices.  Some would argue that many at the bottom are far happier than those at the "top".

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

We're happy with our lives b/c we know you make your own happiness; you make choices and you can be happy with them or not.  That being said, dh is a laborer and it is hard work with long hours.  If a 19 yr old chooses to work as a laborer w/only a GED and then has a family, car payments, and a mortgage...it's not so easy to go back to school while you support everyone kwim?

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:07 PM

My parents had nothing to do with where I am in life.  My husband's parents have had nothing to do with where he is in life.  Once we reach adulthood, we all have the same choices to make.  The "who you know" will provide help to SOME...but not all.  There are plenty of people with talent who have worked hard to become successful at what they are talented in.  (And "success", by the way, isn't just defined by how much money one has or makes.)

Honestly, someone who says that they didn't get anywhere in life because of their parents or because they didn't know anyone needs stop feeling sorry for themselves and blaming others.  My guess is that their attitude has 99.9% of why they didn't go anywhere; not their parents or who they knew.  You can know people all day long, but if you have an attitude that is set on blaming others for all of your failures, then you will never go anywhere.  And that's your OWN fault, not anyone else's.

Quoting Anonymous

A lot of people need to know someone. Sometimes amazingly skilled people get no where in life because of who their parents were and because they don't know anyone.

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Most of us start out adulthood with no credit.  I was also unable to obtain government grants or get student loans.  I didn't come from a rich family and I had plenty of opportunities because I worked hard to make them happen.  Obama wasn't a blip on anyone's radar back then.  Yet it was STILL possible for someone who started with nothing to make something of themselves. 

In order to make sure that I had opportunities, I made choices that would allow for them.  I chose to go to school before getting married &/or having children.  Had I chosen differently, as you did, then it certainly would have made things harder on me.  That wouldn't have been the fault of my parents or any president, though.  That would have been the result of choices I had made...just as your situation is the result of choices that you made.

If you think that Obama will make opportunities appear without hard work, then you are sorely mistaken.  He will do nothing that eliminates effort on your part to move up in this world.  He cannot do anything to override choices you make that might cause it to be more difficult for you to better yourself.  He is not God.  He is a president (who, honestly, isn't much different from any other president in the past 20 years; regardless of party).

Quoting marabie:

Agreed BUT if you have no credit, your parents refuse to give tax information for FASFA, you make minimum wage at a job IF you have one and you don't have a child where do you get student loans? A bank wont' give you one and you won't be getting financial aid through the school. I am thankful Obama won because he gives opportunities to those that don't come from a rich family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 47 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Unskilled labor is just that...unskilled.  It takes no special skill or talent and anyone can do it.   It should not make the same wages as a job that requires an education or degree or some specialized skill.   I'm not even saying everyone needs to be a Business owner or CEO.  But if you don't want ot make minimum wage then get a skill that will earn you more money.  That can be a mechanic, a hair dresser, or a college degree.  Everyone has these opportunities.    It's just a matter of how hard you are willing to work to achieve it.

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM

NO ONE is "screwed over" because their parents won't help with school.  They are choosing to do nothing about their situation &/or sit and whine because someone didn't pay their way.  People have been paying for their own educations for decades and they will continue to do so.  It IS possible to go to school and obtain an education without the help of your parents, government grants, &/or student loans.

Quoting marabie:

Yes at 25 but that is a long time from highschool until you are eligible for assistance with student loans. I know I wouldn't remember much of anything at that point. I barely remember precalc and I took it a year and a half ago. I have a degree and I'm going back for PA school but i've seen a lot of friends screwed over because their parents wouldn't help with school

Quoting Anonymous:

When you turn 25 it no longer matters what your parents make. You don't need to even know your parent's names to get grants and loans at 25.

Quoting marabie:

Agreed BUT if you have no credit, your parents refuse to give tax information for FASFA, you make minimum wage at a job IF you have one and you don't have a child where do you get student loans? A bank wont' give you one and you won't be getting financial aid through the school. I am thankful Obama won because he gives opportunities to those that don't come from a rich family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 48 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM
The "American Dream" is a farce. Much more to it than ambition and education. Social class, race, location, who you know...just to name a few.

That said, I am happy "at the bottom". No complaints from me. We have a home, jobs, and food.
moneysaver6
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM

How many of those people where there by choice?  Perhaps the call center offered a better &/or more flexible schedule.  Perhaps there were better hours.  You don't know the situation of each and every one of those people.

It IS possible to go to school and graduate without accumulating $30K in debt.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I worked at a call center, many of the people I worked with had marketable skills... a woman with a masters degree in foreign language, an electrician, a nurse, and many men and woman who had worked hard, but decent paying jobs in the timber industry before the mills were closed.  

Your post is short sighted.  And explain to me what motivation is there any more... go to college knowing your going to end up with 30k+ in debt without knowing if there will be any jobs at the end of your education?  

daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Many where there because their choices were limited. The area we worked in had an unemployment rate of 14% at the time. Pay was better then most places, but still much less then many of these people were used to making. The valley i am talking about had three major industies go under, lumber, steel, and construction. Those were large industries that supported most of the valley. Many people moved, those who couldnt for various reasons attempted to stay. The call center offered some flexablility, but it was not an easy job and while i worked there i saw many people have nervous breakdowns and taken to the hospital. It was not a job of choice, but of necessity.

Quoting moneysaver6:

How many of those people where there by choice?  Perhaps the call center offered a better &/or more flexible schedule.  Perhaps there were better hours.  You don't know the situation of each and every one of those people.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I worked at a call center, many of the people I worked with had marketable skills... a woman with a masters degree in foreign language, an electrician, a nurse, and many men and woman who had worked hard, but decent paying jobs in the timber industry before the mills were closed.  

Your post is short sighted.  And explain to me what motivation is there any more... go to college knowing your going to end up with 30k+ in debt without knowing if there will be any jobs at the end of your education?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Show me a masters degree that costs less then 30k? BAs in this economy are not going to get you far, trade school is the best rout to go, and that does cost less.... many trades dont have finacial assistance though.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happy2bmom25
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Around here factory workers do very well, even when they are laid off!

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't imagine there is anyone out there who would be more miserable in a career (of their choice) compared to being a factory worker or cashier. If you enjoy factory work, wouldn't being a supervisor at the factory be an improvement? If you like retail, wouldn't being the district manager be an improvement? If you enjoy auto repair, wouldn't being certified and able to being a lead repair man in a big shop be more fun than being the guy who wipes your windows down at the 10 min oil change place?

I really have a hard time imagining anyone is 100% happy at their min wage job and wants to stay there for life. I get it, I have a friend who is the store manager for a retail chain. She loves her job. She loves her company. But she is still  going to school because she wants to be the regional manager someday. She has no plans to leave the company or leave retail, but she wants more for herself and her family.

Sometimes, even if you are happy saying "would you like fries with that," you need to think of your children and consider working for over $8/hr. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

College is not for everyone.....you can't pigeon hole people into jobs that are, "better", but make the person miserable. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN