Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you happy at the bottom?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I keep seeing all of these posts about how its unfair that powerful, educated people who innovate make more money than unskilled laborers. 

Isn't this America, the land of opportunity? Don't they let anyone over 18 with a hs diploma or ged into community college? The bottom rungs of the ladder that you need to climb are accessible to all. There may be obstacles along the way, but most everyone COULD climb if they wanted to. 

You lacking the ambition to get to the top doesn't mean we should punish those who do. Those who climb generally deserve the rewards that come with the climb. 

So if you have your diploma or GED and are sad with your current wages, why are you not climbing? Do you not want a better life? Are you happy where you are? 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (261-263):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:09 AM

what about the person who made their life at their company, to be sold, and have no job at all in middle age?  Job's for certain work types are scarce in parts of the country, and going to school isn't always the answer, esp if one is over 50 and looking to retire in 15yrs...so, what's a 50yr old to do, with declining health, and no job opportunities due to age?  School is not the answer. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Financial aid

Quoting Oceana09:

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't take out loans...

Quoting Oceana09:

Yes I want to get a degree so I can spend the first 10 years after college paying off my student loans. Oh, that's if I can even get someone to hire me, seeing as how most places want you to have 2 years experience actually working in the field. Kinda hard to have experience if everyone is requiring at least 2 years of it. My mom just got her business degree 3 years ago and no one will hire her becasue she may have the degree but she doesn't have the work experience. It's harder than people think.

And I'm supposed to pay for college how? With my good looks?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM
I have no desire whatsoever to go back to school. Nor do I have any desire to reach "the top", whatever that may be. I have learned to be content right here, right now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)