Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you happy at the bottom?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I keep seeing all of these posts about how its unfair that powerful, educated people who innovate make more money than unskilled laborers. 

Isn't this America, the land of opportunity? Don't they let anyone over 18 with a hs diploma or ged into community college? The bottom rungs of the ladder that you need to climb are accessible to all. There may be obstacles along the way, but most everyone COULD climb if they wanted to. 

You lacking the ambition to get to the top doesn't mean we should punish those who do. Those who climb generally deserve the rewards that come with the climb. 

So if you have your diploma or GED and are sad with your current wages, why are you not climbing? Do you not want a better life? Are you happy where you are? 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Question for you, I'm looking for a change in careers currently I'm an LPN. How many years of school and do you know what the average starting income for your field of work?

Quoting MommyAddie:

I was miserable on the bottom, after my divorce. I got my GED (at age 31), thought long and hard about how much money I wanted to be able to make, researched careers with that potential, picked one (court reporter) and researched some more to make sure it was a growing field (I can use my skill in a few different ways, not just sitting in the courtroom), then went to school and did what it took to become what I wanted to be.

I had no car, no job and I was one step above being homeless when I went back to school. I also had 2 kids. No excuses.
myperfect4inok
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM
My husband has no college degree and makes good money.
I have no college degree and was making $35,000 a year. Before I quit and took a huge cut in pay because I was miserable. Now I stay at home and we do just fine.
And here in this town, many people would love to have our income even if they have college degrees.
So sometimes its not all about the degree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Yes, obviously. That is why not everyone gets to go to the top schools.

There are plenty of 4 year PUBLIC universities that are more affordable. Look at Eastern/Northern/Western/Southern/Central (your state) University. Usually the public non-top state universities are more around $10-15k per year. Most of those state keep their tuition controlled so you can afford 30 credits per year including books with grants and loans.

Is it not worth $20,000 in total loans to get a better job and have a better life? Make an investment in yourself.

Quoting LectioDivina:

27 thousand dollars a year is not exactly accessible to everyone once the time comes for a Bachelors

achorney
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I'm in college and i own a tiny company. I feel like i'm climbing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:29 AM
i went to post secondary. i came out with nothing to show for it. but a couple thousand dollar debt. the school was a private one. and i didnt hear of anyone reciving the certificate/deploma, even the ones who worked thier butt off...

so that is why i am at the bottom....

Quoting Anonymous:

i want to start school, but theres literally no time. i work full time, and im a single mom who gets no child support. yes, i can take my core classes online, but what do i do when i have done those, and actually have to attend? im not upset by those who are doing well. im bummed im not, but you know....it will happen eventually.  IF the ecoomy gets better. im not gonna take out loans for a degree im not gonna use. thats what MANY people are experiencing now. college degrees and working fast food

LectioDivina
by A.Priori on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:29 AM

lol When I went to UCLA which was a state school it was about that much a year. I can imagine it's even more now because of increased fees and such. and it's about 100,000 all together, not 20,000.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, obviously. That is why not everyone gets to go to the top schools.

There are plenty of 4 year PUBLIC universities that are more affordable. Look at Eastern/Northern/Western/Southern/Central (your state) University. Usually the public non-top state universities are more around $10-15k per year. Most of those state keep their tuition controlled so you can afford 30 credits per year including books with grants and loans.

Is it not worth $20,000 in total loans to get a better job and have a better life? Make an investment in yourself.

Quoting LectioDivina:

27 thousand dollars a year is not exactly accessible to everyone once the time comes for a Bachelors

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Both of my parents grew up poor. They both worked hard and went to school- and they live pretty comfortably now. Its possible. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I think my ex husband's family is perfectly content at the bottom. I don't understand it but they seem perfectly fine with it.

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I'm happy at the bottom, scrubbing Old Man Larrys shit off stuff for 8.65 an hour.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I want to go back to school but am currently unable to. I owe a college money so I cannot get official transcripts to apply for any other schools.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured