Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think I made a nice offer and he is being greedy to ask for more~~ I just thought of something

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Me and my ex have a child together, he pays $750 and makes $3600 a month, this is according to the child support enforcement guidelines. We are both married to other people and have other children, I have 4 other children, he has 2 with one on the way.

He called me and told me that he might have a problem with paying his child support for a while because his wife lost her job. She used to be able to work primarily from home, now she can't and with 2 kids at home and one of the way, daycare would be really expensive so, for now at least, she will be staying at home.

I said that I didn't see how that would make a difference in child support because child support is based on what he makes, it has nothing to do with her income. Then he said that his hours will be getting cut at work as well so he will no longer be able to work overtime, well I pointed out that child support isn't based on him working overtime.

He said that he wanted to talk to me first because he was planning on talking to his attorney about getting a child support decreased but wanted to see if I would be willing to make an agreement on our own. I told him that since child support is based on what he is currently making, not overtime and not his wife's income, there is no reason that the judge would lower child support. I know some states will lower child support if the payer has more children but the state I live in does not.

I asked him what kind of break he was looking for and he said he wanted me to give him 6 months to a year off of the child support. I told him that I can't give him that much of a break but I can let him take $150 off per month for the next year and he doesn't have to pay me back until he stops paying child support when she graduated from high school. He told me that I that's not enough. I told him take it or leave it because that is what I can do. He said that am being heartless and that with him about to have 3 kids to support, he is trying to make something work. This pissed me off because apparently, his "way" to support them is to stop supporting our DD.

Added:

I just thought of something while I was typing. I told someone that child support is based on income and percentage of overnights, I had a feeling that I forgot something. I checked my order, child support is based on him having her 6 weeks a year, not 3 (he decided that he only wanted her 3 weeks a year) and yes, the change is in writing. So if he takes me back to court, he is going to owe me more money because he has her less time then the child support order says he does. Granted, it wouldn't be much, probably $45 a month but still, he would look like an ass.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM

3600 is a good chunk of change

Quoting Anonymous:

He only makes 3600 and has to pay $750?  He needs to go back to court for sure, esspecially since he's got another one of his on the way, they will see that he needs to split his money between more mouths.

I'm not trying to be mean, but the more kids he has the less $$$ you will get.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I's not your job to worry about his wife's financial status.  If the court doesn't consider it when making a determination, then it should have no bearing on your child support.  Tell him to take you to court.

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Ugh

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Wtf!! You were being nice...
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Yes, they live in a different state so she is with us most of the time (all but 3 weeks a year). I am a teacher and child support is not based on what DH makes. $750 is what was ordered based on ex's income.

Quoting Anonymous:

$750 per month for just your daughter? And you both married with other kids. Do you have primary custody? Honestly  if you and your hubby are working, there is no way $750 is needed. (Unless you both make minimum wage.)  I would go lower.. to say $500 per month. I have two kids and I don't spend that much on them per month. What do you have her doing, dance classes? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Well holy shit $750 a month for one child? I would never see that kind of money. I should be getting $200 a month for 2 kids. But im not getting a dime right now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I think so, I mean in this economy, who wants to just give up money?

Quoting Anonymous:

Wtf!! You were being nice...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Looks like your ex and his new slash are living above their means!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Well, it's based on income and how many nights each parent has with the child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well holy shit $750 a month for one child? I would never see that kind of money. I should be getting $200 a month for 2 kids. But im not getting a dime right now.

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

He only makes 3600 and has to pay $750?  He needs to go back to court for sure, esspecially since he's got another one of his on the way, they will see that he needs to split his money between more mouths.

I'm not trying to be mean, but the more kids he has the less $$$ you will get.

Some states make the non custodial parent pay25-30% of their pay. This sounds about right to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured