Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think I made a nice offer and he is being greedy to ask for more~~ I just thought of something

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Me and my ex have a child together, he pays $750 and makes $3600 a month, this is according to the child support enforcement guidelines. We are both married to other people and have other children, I have 4 other children, he has 2 with one on the way.

He called me and told me that he might have a problem with paying his child support for a while because his wife lost her job. She used to be able to work primarily from home, now she can't and with 2 kids at home and one of the way, daycare would be really expensive so, for now at least, she will be staying at home.

I said that I didn't see how that would make a difference in child support because child support is based on what he makes, it has nothing to do with her income. Then he said that his hours will be getting cut at work as well so he will no longer be able to work overtime, well I pointed out that child support isn't based on him working overtime.

He said that he wanted to talk to me first because he was planning on talking to his attorney about getting a child support decreased but wanted to see if I would be willing to make an agreement on our own. I told him that since child support is based on what he is currently making, not overtime and not his wife's income, there is no reason that the judge would lower child support. I know some states will lower child support if the payer has more children but the state I live in does not.

I asked him what kind of break he was looking for and he said he wanted me to give him 6 months to a year off of the child support. I told him that I can't give him that much of a break but I can let him take $150 off per month for the next year and he doesn't have to pay me back until he stops paying child support when she graduated from high school. He told me that I that's not enough. I told him take it or leave it because that is what I can do. He said that am being heartless and that with him about to have 3 kids to support, he is trying to make something work. This pissed me off because apparently, his "way" to support them is to stop supporting our DD.

Added:

I just thought of something while I was typing. I told someone that child support is based on income and percentage of overnights, I had a feeling that I forgot something. I checked my order, child support is based on him having her 6 weeks a year, not 3 (he decided that he only wanted her 3 weeks a year) and yes, the change is in writing. So if he takes me back to court, he is going to owe me more money because he has her less time then the child support order says he does. Granted, it wouldn't be much, probably $45 a month but still, he would look like an ass.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Perhaps both of you should consider how much you will end up paying in court and legal fees when you are factoring in costs. If he can afford an attorney's retainer, he can afford support. If you have to engage an attorney when he gets one, you can afford a bigger cut. Really try to work this out - I think both sides have more room for compromise.

The attorney he talks to is his BIL, he answers his questions for free but doesn't go to court with him. I don't take an attorney with me to court

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I think so, I mean in this economy, who wants to just give up money?

Quoting Anonymous:

Wtf!! You were being nice...

And I bet he is thinking the same thing..He has 4 kids now.. 1 with you and 3 at home. I would bet he will get it lowered. The state says so much, but..

The other thing is he makes $3600-$750= $2850 for a now family of 5 to live on. He will fight it tooth and nail if you let him take you to court. 

seriously consider dropping it further to prevent any court time. 

Children that he chose to have knowing he owes child support. Also, judges can only do so much, there are perimeters that the can work between and they can only change child support if there is a change in income

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM

No, I have her on mine. The laws say child support can't be changed unless incom is changed.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Damn! That's a lot of support for his income. Does he also have her on his insurance? I think if he took it to court he'd get it lowered.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Money hungry much?????

Me or him?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Of course I am

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow... are you financially supporting your kid at all?

Goofygadget
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM
I think 750 a month for one kid is too much anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM
5 moms liked this
just because you two are no more doesn't mean he has to cut the baby making factory off. You started a whole new life with your husband and kids so why can't he? He has to stop his life because of your one child together? $750 a month? Thats rediculous and I think you're the one being unreasonable!
Eyelashes23
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes you are. What is the percentage of child support in your state?

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

What the hell??? My ex makes about 2200 a month with no other kids and he pays 280 a month! I'm getting jipped lol.

Quoting sam12796:

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, I know, I have a friend who gets about 1/4 of her ex's pay plus he has to keep the child on his insurance and has to pay 1/2 of all copays and the DD is with him EOWE

Quoting sam12796:

Quoting Anonymous:

He only makes 3600 and has to pay $750?  He needs to go back to court for sure, esspecially since he's got another one of his on the way, they will see that he needs to split his money between more mouths.

I'm not trying to be mean, but the more kids he has the less $$$ you will get.

Some states make the non custodial parent pay25-30% of their pay. This sounds about right to me.

Yes my sister is in Texas and she gets 29% of her Ex's paycheck. It is the law and you were being very fair in your offer to him.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Meghan6391
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Shit my husband owed me 360 a month in cs when we weren't together, he only made 1100 a month
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Child support is based on income and percentage of overnight visits so I get what is ordered. What other people do is not my concern. He came to me nicely because he wanted help, which I offered, he wanted more then I am willing to give

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you're getting way too much money for one child honestly. You're both remarried with other children and you're getting $750 a month for one child? That's ridiculous. Some people are literally trying to raise a FAMILY on little more than what you are getting in child support.
Being that he came to you nicely and asked instead of dragging you to court, I definitely think you're in the wrong here. I wouldn't let him not pay anything, but you can't tell me that you can't cut his payment in half for 6 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN