Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"white cooking" vs " black cooking"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is there a difference in the way white and black people cook? If so, explain. And which tastes better to you?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Replies (31-40):
mstricey
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this
I love food from other cultures..If I had a choice between a burger joint or Hispanic/Asian/Italian/Indian etc... I will always pick the "exotic" food. As long as I know what it is lol.

Quoting A.B.C.brown07:

Lol. It's more a "cultural" thing, no different than how the French and English start each meal with warm tea.

Black people have a cultural of food which includes certain dishes derived from years ago.

I think it's immature to really classify it as a "black/white" thing

Hispanics, Asians, europeans, Canadians, etc. we all have cultural differences in our food and ways o cooking

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mortiferouslatt
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it's determined by race as much as where you live and learn to cook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Not necessarily. Anybody is capable recreating a dish if they have the training and time. It doesn't matter what color their skin is. Are we able to tell the skin color of the cooks in our favorite restaurants?

egyptian_mommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Everyone cooks differently regardless of skin color.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
piratehooker
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM
3 moms liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM
My best friends ex is black and he always used crisco to cook...but I think it was more of a southern thing than 'black' thing. Everything he cooked was delicious.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Not according to the shit I watch on the food network. Also not according to what I see in the grocery stores or with families I've eaten with over the years.
Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh God no lol

Not all black people use lard. I guess it's just personal preference, but if someone uses lard, I won't eat it, because it's a byproduct of pork.

I'm a black girl that uses butter, & EVOO lol

Quoting LectioDivina:

My DH has some family members that are black and that's what they always use.... That's the only difference I've ever seen except for collard greens

Quoting Litlmama87:

Ew. Who uses lard?

Quoting LectioDivina:

Butter vs. Lard?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have heard people use those terms before and I was wondering why. As some of you have said, I believe it has to do with culture, not color.
LectioDivina
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM

lol the other half of his family is Mexican , so maybe they learned from them...

Quoting atlshine:

I have only seen hispanics use lard. Lots of black people use Crisco but so did white people until this new influx of food purity came around.

Quoting LectioDivina:

My DH has some family members that are black and that's what they always use.... That's the only difference I've ever seen except for collard greens

Quoting Litlmama87:

Ew. Who uses lard?

Quoting LectioDivina:

Butter vs. Lard?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN