Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"white cooking" vs " black cooking"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is there a difference in the way white and black people cook? If so, explain. And which tastes better to you?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Replies (181-190):
So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Hmm.. I grew up around a lot of white people. And my sil is white. The differences I have noticed is we tend to use more seasoning in things and more sugar and butter. But that might be a where you are from thing as well as your race. Culture not just race. I mean.. Paula Deen's food is always always GOOD. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM

LMAO no

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Id never use crisco, never have so I really can't really comment on a difference. I've always used butter, lard or suet.

Quoting MicheleJM:

Do you find a difference?

I use Crisco as a probably slightly lower fat thing.  Eh if you're frying anyway or making a pie crust there are so many calories it probably doesn't matter...but I have always used Crisco

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

I do! :)

Quoting Litlmama87:

Ew. Who uses lard?

Quoting LectioDivina:

Butter vs. Lard?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Quoting So_Devious20:

Hmm.. I grew up around a lot of white people. And my sil is white. The differences I have noticed is we tend to use more seasoning in things and more sugar and butter. But that might be a where you are from thing as well as your race. Culture not just race. I mean.. Paula Deen's food is always always GOOD. Lol.

I think it's an White American vs African American difference.  Italians have yummy food that is seasoned well, so do the French. Polish food can be flavorful. British food seems blander.  What about Tex-Mex?  I don't think it's a white vs black thing I think it is a cultural thing.

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I think cooking styles vary from region to region rather than 'race'. For instance, Hubs' mother comes from Ohio. She uses gravy, butter, and spice in her dishes. My family comes from New England. Traditionally, their dishes were boiled and mashed and seasoned with vinegar.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

white people cook healhier. Black people put butter and salt on everything. That's probably why we have high blood pressure and diabetes

BShip2010
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Nope

kngarber
by Katie on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I don't think it is a black vs white person thing.  Just a personal thing.  We had a chilli cook off at work.  There were 10 different ones - everyone who entered was white - and 5 of them made me almost throw up.  They were so gross, to me.  LOL.

jbirchard
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:30 PM
I just enjoy good food, no matter who cooks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by Katie on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Paula Deen?  Dean?  However you spell he last name.  She is white.

Quoting Anonymous:

white people cook healhier. Black people put butter and salt on everything. That's probably why we have high blood pressure and diabetes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)