Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"white cooking" vs " black cooking"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is there a difference in the way white and black people cook? If so, explain. And which tastes better to you?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Replies (201-210):
mommyof2soon29
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Quoting LectioDivina:

Butter vs. Lard?

Maybe from down South, which wouldnt be a black thing but a Southern thing. Ive been around black people my whole life. My SO of 7 years is black and I have NEVER once seen or heard of any of the black people I know using lard to cook.

CafeMom Tickers
Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I am very mixed! I use spices that Blacks would use I also use Hungarian spices Thai spices (lived in Thailand for a couple of years) Cuban spices it just depends on what I am cooking! I love to cook and bake Sunday is my baking and cooking day since I am in school full-time and so is my wife and I like a home cooked meal every day! So we have food in the freezer cooked or ready to go in the crock pot, breads and such for the week as well.

I experiment a lot I love those flavored syrups and today I am making salted Carmel sticky buns they smell yummy and they are just in the bread maker!

Quoting Anonymous:

I have my own way of cooking no race involved!

cklamour
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM
This.

Some curry goat sounds pretty good at the moment 🐐

Quoting A.B.C.brown07:

Lol. It's more a "cultural" thing, no different than how the French and English start each meal with warm tea.

Black people have a cultural of food which includes certain dishes derived from years ago.

I think it's immature to really classify it as a "black/white" thing

Hispanics, Asians, europeans, Canadians, etc. not to mention "northerners" and "southerners" of America . we all have cultural differences in our food and ways of cooking

ETA: again, not all black people are American heritage and like "soul" food. My family is Guyanese and our cultural dishes are Caribbean (curry, jerk chicken, ox tails, etc)

This is why this argument is silly
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
supermom985
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Didn't know there was a difference lol. I just like southern food :) 

atlshine
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Some of these comments are hilarious! Others are just ridiculous. I'm Black woman and I can cook food from numerous cultures because i'm a foodie. I know plenty of black people who cannot cook AT ALL. Also, most soul food restaurants are terrible. I'd rather eat at someone's grandma's house. And shoot, there are all kinda of people who can cook. Most successful restaurants are not owned by black folks but their food is delicious. I think your average black person can cook better than your average white person because traditionally, we were the cooks, and most of us have learned our cooking styles from our mothers who learned from their mothers, etc. But there are plenty of professional cooks who are better than home cooks regardless of race because they have studied food and take influences from all over. I learned more in culinary school than I did at home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Idk. I like aaaaalll food lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Black people "put their foot" in their cooking and add a pinch of "soul."

MommyLove23
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I think it should be more like..Is there a difference in yankee and southern cooking..Yankees cook "white people food" and southerners cook "black people food"..Black people food is way better!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM

In the south it isn't so much white compared to black as it is southern compared to northern....it's not so much they cook differently, but that they eat different things.

trailerrrtrash
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Idk, I'm a southern girl, we all cook soul food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured