Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

In your opinion, Do Employers laugh when they see "University Of Phoenix online" ....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
listed on your resume or job app?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Replies (191-195):
foreveryoung921
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM
I own a home in Dallas. Both my kids are in school here. It was either Texas Weslyean or SMU. I couldn't abandon my life to go to any different law school. And yes....law school was tough...way more work than undergrad and
undoubtedly far more rigorous than UoP. It's a truly absurd comparison.

Quoting Anonymous:

No shit you can't go to law school online. You couldn't get into a T-14 school?

Quoting foreveryoung921:

Quoting foreveryoung921:

Quoting Anonymous:

Was your law school accredited? I have friends in their third year and they have no time for anything but studying. How did you do it with a kid? They'll be quitting their jobs just to study for the bar.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I dusagree. As a single mom with a full time job it takes a ton of commitnent and drive to get my classwork done. I atteneded. UoP for my associates and now go to a local state college for my bachelors. With four papers teo quizes discussion questions and participation due each week I am up hours past the kids eash night. I have a 3.78 gpa. But yea. Its a cake walk. Smg

Quoting foreveryoung921:

I simply do not believe that an online school can provide an educational experience comparable to that of attending class at a university. I understand that some people have time constraints, but where there is a will, there is a way. Personally, I wouldn't hire a University of Phoenix online grad because it reflects a distinct lack of drive. No offense intended to anyone.

As a single mom who earned my ged, got an associates, bachelors, and juris doctor, online school cannot prepare one for the kind of on your toes improvisation necessary to survive in the real world practice of law...or any other true profession. No. It does not compare. Period.

SMU Dedman School of Law. Look it up. There is no online alternative.

And I didn't just do it with a kid. I have two..and a full time job. Yeah...online school is for the faint of heart, and you'd better believe I would not hire an online graduate at my firm. Plus, You can't get a law degree from SMU Dedman School of Law online.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM
My guess would be yes
wineisfine
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I will speak for my father, he owns an investment firm. He did not consider anyone that went to an online college, he was interested in someone who went to an accredited four year University!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM

As a former GM of a company that employed around 500, it depends on the position you are applying for.  If you want a management position, not only do you need a degree from a noted university or college, I also required years of hands on experience. I could be that picky and was.  I ran many departments myself until I found the right person.  And to this day many of the people I hired are still with the company after 10 years and many of the lower level managers have advanced or transferred throughout our other locations.

Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I have heard that it is not taken seriously. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN