Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Alcoholic Parents are Monsters

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM
  • 21 Replies

At least that is what this PSA says.  I can agree with it.  How do children of alcoholic parents view the parent after he/she has been drinking?

What do you think?

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM
I agree, I hated when my dad would drink.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM
I believe it to be right, alcoholics are inherently selfish people, much too wrapped up in how they're going to drink next/when they'll drink, they don't give a fuck about anyone besides themselves.
WonderWomanSV
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this

That's a good PSA. Too bad the ones who need to see are passed out drunk on their couch.

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I just posted this because I remember a mom was here advocating for her group which supported women who are alcoholics but don't want to change.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Wow. While I believe that the DISEASE itself is destructive to themselves and everyone around them, your words and criticism is way harsh, alcoholism is a disease, it's an addiction, and if it was so easy for people to quit then they would. Most WANT to stop, but they can't and most need help from facilities that cost way more than they can afford.

In not trying I bash you or be rude, I just hate when people are so judgmental of addicts, which is a disease often inherited

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe it to be right, alcoholics are inherently selfish people, much too wrapped up in how they're going to drink next/when they'll drink, they don't give a fuck about anyone besides themselves.
xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I was always oblivious when my dad was drunk. I really only have it on word that he was an alcoholic, but I believe it mainly because of the fact that after the divorce my mother took me aside and told me to take the keys from my dad if he ever tried to drive drunk with any of us kids. I was EIGHT. I don't think he ever did DD with us but it was clearly a legit concern for her because he had several DUIs at that point. Now that I know more about what was going on I really just find it sad. He was never a monster; he had a problem that he needed help with, and I'm thankful that he finally did get that help. That said, he was never in any way abusive whether he was drunk or not. It's a completely different matter for abusive drunks and I'm sure their children have more of an idea what's happening and how terrible it is.

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM

My stepfather voluntarily checked into one of those facilities aaaand...he snuck liquor in. I kid you not, he had the crap stashed ALL OVER that place. It's a very serious problem and hard to conquer even when you WANT to.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. While I believe that the DISEASE itself is destructive to themselves and everyone around them, your words and criticism is way harsh, alcoholism is a disease, it's an addiction, and if it was so easy for people to quit then they would. Most WANT to stop, but they can't and most need help from facilities that cost way more than they can afford.

In not trying I bash you or be rude, I just hate when people are so judgmental of addicts, which is a disease often inherited

Quoting Anonymous:

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I am not saying that all alcoholics are violent monsters.  I don't think that is what the PSA is saying either.  But, I think that your case is not as usual as other cases where the parent is obviously drunk and impaired in front of the children.  

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

I was always oblivious when my dad was drunk. I really only have it on word that he was an alcoholic, but I believe it mainly because of the fact that after the divorce my mother took me aside and told me to take the keys from my dad if he ever tried to drive drunk with any of us kids. I was EIGHT. I don't think he ever did DD with us but it was clearly a legit concern for her because he had several DUIs at that point. Now that I know more about what was going on I really just find it sad. He was never a monster; he had a problem that he needed help with, and I'm thankful that he finally did get that help. That said, he was never in any way abusive whether he was drunk or not. It's a completely different matter for abusive drunks and I'm sure their children have more of an idea what's happening and how terrible it is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I agree. My Great-gradfather was an alcholic. He cheated on my Great-grandmother, and would become violent with her. I'm not sure if he ever became violent with the kids (my grandmother) but it broke up their home. My Great-grandmother left him, and he never had anything to do with his kids, and as far as I know, they wanted nothing to do with him.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM
No, at some point, the alcoholic sees the damage their "disease" is causing their family, yet keep drinking despite, most alcoholics are already selfish and arrogant, heredity plays nothing in that, there are a great percentage of people who have no alcoholism is their family, yet they choose to become one.

You're only as strong as the drug.
"Disease" is a cop out, a minimalazation to placate those that need justifying their addiction.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)