Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel like I'm not doing enough EDITED

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I feel like I am not doing enough for my nephew for Christmas. So far I have gotten him an MP3 player and a cord to plug it into his radio so he can listen to his songs at night if he wants. I plan to buy him one of those hoodies that has the ear phones built in, a necklace he wants, stuff for a stocking and a video game. I just feel like that isn't enough :(

EDIT::: He is18 and has never had a Christmas. His mom left when he was younger and his dad abused him since he was little which includes taking everything anyone ever got him for Christmas or birthdays. One year we gave him a football and he popped it because he went outside to play with it. He just moved in with us and so I want to make a big deal out of this Christmas for him and his birthday this year

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM

he lives with us until he graduates high school

Quoting Mrs.Bryant1201:

Really? Who does he live with? Poor kid!

Quoting Anonymous:

his dad isn't aloowed around him and his mom could careless about him and can't be bothered to even buy him a card

Quoting Mrs.Bryant1201:

What about nephews parents?

stellarmom1
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

ah, I see, you left out some details! :)

I think what you got him is great! I think the best thing to do though is to try and help him make some good memories.  While presents are great, it sounds like he needs a good Christmas family experience if that makes sense.  Get him into decorated the tree, making cookies, make a Xmas dinner, watch xmas movies together. That kind of thing. Gifts are great, but showing him you care is better! Sounds like he is lucky to have you guys. 

Quoting Anonymous:

because he is 18 and has never had a Christmas. His mom left when he was younger and his dad abused him since he was little which includes taking everything anyone ever got him for Christmas or birthdays. One year we gave him a football and he popped it because he went outside to play with it. He just moved in with us and so I want to make a big deal out of this Christmas for him and his birthday this year

Quoting stellarmom1:

I guess I'm not understanding why you think that's not enough?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this
After reading your other comments I think you've bought him plenty. Focus more on making it a family occasion for him. Have him help out with cookies. Do a night when you rent a movie and eat popcorn and drink hot chocolate. I know he's 18, but it's good for him to have that sense of family after not having it his whole life.

Quoting Anonymous:

that he can buy on his own when he goes into the army

Quoting Anonymous:

You're missing the car...

uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM
13 nieces and nephews to get for and they each are getting 1 gift a piece, because I also have 6 sisters &brother/bil&sil, and grandparents and mom and dad to get for... so each one gets 1 gift each... my siblings and their spouses are sharing their gift and so are my parents and grandparents...

I think what you got him is fine... he has parents who will be getting him gifts so you don't need to stress too much about going all out like you do for your kids...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:30 PM

. His mom left when he was younger and his dad abused him since he was little which includes taking everything anyone ever got him for Christmas or birthdays. One year we gave him a football and he popped it because he went outside to play with it. He just moved in with us and so I want to make a big deal out of this Christmas for him and his birthday this year

Quoting uriahadel:

13 nieces and nephews to get for and they each are getting 1 gift a piece, because I also have 6 sisters &brother/bil&sil, and grandparents and mom and dad to get for... so each one gets 1 gift each... my siblings and their spouses are sharing their gift and so are my parents and grandparents...

I think what you got him is fine... he has parents who will be getting him gifts so you don't need to stress too much about going all out like you do for your kids...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:44 PM

bumpo

mandi0913
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM
I think your a wonderful person for what your doing for him. I think what uve got him is great and all you really need to do now is show him love and what a real family christmas is.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I will say, that I did something similar for a guy I used to be friends with, I found out he'd never had a Christmas, so I made up a stocking for him. It was all just cheap stuff honestly, but the thought still meant a lot to him. He was about your nephew's age. I'm sure that what you've gotten him is plenty. It is more than he has ever had before. 

areyouatroll
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Maybe something personalized for his room or something, plus make Christmas cookies :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Honestly, you are giving him exactly what he's always needed, a stable home, love, and attention, just the fact you're showing you give a damn is plenty.

I'd go for needs, what are absolute essentials you know he likes?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN