Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question for mamas with dogs...moreso if you had a dog that passed from Lymphoma/cancer

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM
  • 17 Replies

My mother recently had a dog that passed from lymphoma. From the time the dog presented symptoms to her passing was under a week. My mom has a feeling that fast progression has to do with her vaccines...she has done some research and noticed that when it comes on this quickly that the owners usually got the dog vaccinated shortly before. So do any of you have a similar situation? She is now debating on whether vaccines beyond rabies are beneficial or harmful to a dog if they are prone to lymphomas/cancers...this was her 2nd dog under similar circumstances.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DeathGoddess
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM

BUMP!

Ginnygurl97
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a vet tech and have been for over 10 yrs. first, there is no vax for lymphoma. Was it a retriever or lab? My 15 yr old laika has mast cell cancer. Feel free to ask any specific questions or pm me. But in my experience, w several different vets, at emergency clinics, regular clinics, humane societies, animal control, and mobile clinics. (I do a lot of volunteer work)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM
I had a dog pass away from lymphoma. She had not recently had vaccinations. she had her cancer for about 6 months. She was actually doing okay, but then we bought a house. The stress of the move is what did it for her. We moved on a Friday. She died on a Sunday.
DeathGoddess
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

sorry, i think i worded it wrong, it was just the usual vaccinations beyond rabies that both dogs got shortly before the rapid decline...i wish there were a vaccine for lymphoma and they were both full blooded boxers, sisters from same litter...3 years apart. :-(

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

I'm a vet tech and have been for over 10 yrs. first, there is no vax for lymphoma. Was it a retriever or lab? My 15 yr old laika has mast cell cancer. Feel free to ask any specific questions or pm me. But in my experience, w several different vets, at emergency clinics, regular clinics, humane societies, animal control, and mobile clinics. (I do a lot of volunteer work)

Grumpylilpixy
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I noticed a decline in my boxer 6 months before he passed away unfortuntly I didn't think nothing of it , he was over weight and a big couch dog. Unfortuntly when I did see the signs it was to late and he passed.

I know what to look for now, but even with that said , you have to ask yourself, Is it worth extending their lives for a year well most answer will be OF COURSE. But does the cost out way just making him comfortable and giving them pain meds as needed and letting them go happy?

IDK tough situation and it is painful for the pet owners to decide.

DeathGoddess
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM

seems to me that alot of boxers pass from some form of cancer, it is what has taken every one of hers. So she knew the signs to look for, unfortunately Sasha showed no symptoms then all of a sudden her eye swelled up overnight. Even the dr was surprised at how quickly it happened, we all thought she had been bit by some venomous spider.

She's just wondering even if it was going to happen, would it not have happened so soon and quickly if not for the vaccines? Sadie was around 2 when she passed and Sasha was 5...yes 3 yrs apart right around vaccine time so i see where mom is going with this.

armyvet06
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM
I had a dog pass a few years ago from some sort of sickness. It progressed fairly fast. When she got sick, she quit eating and drinking. She was half greyhound so she was naturally thin. I think what made her die faster was the fact that me and my younger sister moved out which caused stress on her because she wasnt used to us being gone.
pitbull4me
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Both of my bff's Boxers(littermates) passed fom Lymphoma within 3 months of each other.They were only 3 yrs old,did not have recent vaccines and only lived 3wks after diagnosis.My Fila Brasileiro lived 4 days after diagnosis,hers was a sudden spot on her neck.I thought at first it was a spider,but the next am it was 4x the size. It is a crazy cancer, that takes way too many pets!

DeathGoddess
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Quoting pitbull4me:

Both of my bff's Boxers(littermates) passed fom Lymphoma within 3 months of each other.They were only 3 yrs old,did not have recent vaccines and only lived 3wks after diagnosis.My Fila Brasileiro lived 4 days after diagnosis,hers was a sudden spot on her neck.I thought at first it was a spider,but the next am it was 4x the size. It is a crazy cancer, that takes way too many pets!

Your fila sounds exactly what happened to my mom's last boxer...her eye swelled a lil bit, then overnight it got REAL bad. Vet thought maybe a venomous spider because of how quickly it happened and she went rapidly downhill from there. She just noticed somewhat of a pattern and is wondering if it helped progress the disease.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM

My dog died of lymphoma. He was my best friend all through my childhood and I still feel grief for him the way I do for relatives who have died. It was months of battle from the time we discovered it. I was 17 and I honestly don't remember if he had vaccines soon before that. My parents had a vet that would come out and vaccinate all the dogs at once and I wouldn't always be there when they did. We did take him for chemo, read books on natural remedies and tried them, everything. I am sad to think that his suffering might have been unnecessary and that he might have lived a longer, healthy life. He so suffered. In the last days, I took off of school and just laid on the floor with him for days until he passed. We had to carry him outside to go to the bathroom or just have pads underneath him and clean him up. You could see he was miserable. It was awful! I also don't know if he was vaccinated after he had gotten better (he went into remission and then relapsed, recovered, relapsed again and then died). I haven't vaccinated my current dog since he came home from the rescue with vaccinations. I know people that don't vaccinate their pets though because they have read about this. I don't vaccinate my child. Hmm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)