Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Renew your marriage license!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies
Watching an old episode of the show "Dinosaurs", I saw something that made a lot of sense to me. The rule of the period was that you have to renew your marriage license every so many years.

With as common as divorce is, I think we should have to renew our marriage licenses annually. Fill out paperwork stating who gets what should you choose not to renew next year. If a couple chooses not to renew, the marriage is dissolved and children/pets/property are already divied up. Both parties have to sign in order for it to be valid.

After a couple has been married a certain number of years, they can apply for a permanant license which will remove the option of divorce entirely.

What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM
3 moms liked this
Screw that!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM
3 moms liked this
That's insane. It seems like it's assuming failure. And people do get divorces even after 20+ years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM
8 moms liked this
Nope. I do not agree. If you think this would be necessary in your marriage, maybe you shouldn't get married. I believe in my vows. Til death do us part. 13 years strong.
iheartmiboys
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Scratching my head 

nicki1018
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Me and my husband had this joke that we got the five year plan.  After five years we would see if we wanted to go another five lol.  I kind of think the idea would be smart, if you're done after a certain amount time just walk separate ways lol.  I dont know..

Sondi7
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I completely disagree. 

1. Having to renew yearly makes it way too easy for people to walk away from their marriages. 

2. Divorce should always be an option for people. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM
That's a horrible idea.
Celtic_Dragon
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Yeah, like everyone can afford the $100 plus to renew their licenses. Marriages already cost a fortune, I'm not giving the state anymore money for that!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM
dumbest thing EVER
brittany208
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM
3 moms liked this

DISAGREE! I made a LIFE-LONG commitment. There is no expiration date on my marriage license and there is no expiration date on my marriage. Imagine how much worse the divorce rate would be if people just had to not renew.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)