Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My SO wants to get rid of our cat...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

and I'm starting to consider it. I feel terrible! I'd never give up on a dog! 

I have my first cat ever and we're really struggling with him. NONE of the training techniques work. It's like he's half wild but we have had him since he was a baby, with his eyes still closed and had to bottle feed him at first. It doesn't matter how much we feed (and we always feed him) he's always hunting for more. We have to be super careful because he'll just destroy groceries, breach, chips, cereal, anything he can rip open. We can't even keep paper towels out because he rips those to shreds and TP too! We can't stop him from climbing on counter; if you get up to check on the baby and leave food on the table he's eating it. He knocks the trash over all the time. It started at night but now he does it pretty much any time the kitchen is empty and he pulls out anything he can eat or rip up. He knocks things down off the table, counters anywhere he can get to, he throws himself against doors trying to knock them open if you leave them closed, you can hear them banging all night. He will take anything from anywhere to eat, destroy or bat around, there is no rhyme or reason to it. If we get rid of one thing he finds something else!! We tried the calm stuff that you plug in, we play with him (although it's getting to where it's not fun anymore bc we both dislike him so much) he has a cat tree but he's absolutely destroyed my couch (I have to keep towels draped over it so he can't rip it up but if they fall down at all he's right back to the couch.) We've used cat attract for the tree and the stay away stuff for the couch. No effect. I am just so frustrated

Edit: When I got him he was about 3 weeks old and his eyes were closed. Both SO and I had to bottle feed him, so he should be pretty domesticated (the way I wrote it before was confusing and I only included this fact bc the first thing people normally ask is if he was an older stray.)

He is now 2. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Replies (31-40):
mamom01
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I was thinking hyperthyroid since it can cause hyperactivity in cats, but I am assumiing your vet did bloodwork in addition to a urinalysis when he was diagnosed with the UTI?

It's possible he's semi feral.  What kind of stimulation do you have for him in the house outside of the things you do not want him to destroy?

Quoting Anonymous:

he's just turned 2 and he saw the vet in July for a UTI and bc we couldn't get his fleas under control. He's an indoor only cat but our friend brought her dog over and they had some kind of mutant, incurable flea. We had to give him an oral pill and have the house professionally treated to get rid of them. I thought the fleas were the problem for a while bc we could not get rid of them and I can't imagine having something bite you all the time but other than not peeing on the floor it didn't chang his behavior.

Quoting mamom01:

How old is he and when was the last time he was seen by your Vet?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes he was fixed as soon as the vet said he was old enough because I didn't want him to start spraying and I enough to know that male cats are much nicer and calmer if you fix them. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he fixed?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

No, I was wondering if that was a factor. I know that dogs learn a lot from their litter mates that are the core of their "manners." There aren't any cat classes or anything and he really doesn't seem to care for other cats or dog for that matter. 

Quoting firespurity:

Hm it is actually fairly common for bottle fed cats to have behavioral problems hard core. Have you socialized your cat with kittens?

Quoting Anonymous:

He just turned 2

Quoting firespurity:

How old is he?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes he was fixed as soon as the vet said he was old enough because I didn't want him to start spraying and I enough to know that male cats are much nicer and calmer if you fix them. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he fixed?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I've bought him just about every toy they make but he only seems to like the little balls with bells and the teasers. The doughnut with the bell in it just pisses him off. The vet checked everything when she saw him because I let her know about the behavior as well as the fleas. I don't want to put him on kitty mood enhancers. How can a cat that's lived inside his entire life be semi feral? But he does act semi feral. I can't wrap my head around it. I play with him a lot and so does SO. We have the cat tree where he can really run and jump onto it. I've rearanged our furniture so that he can walk around the entire living room with out going onto the table and with out touching the ground (I watch the "My cat from Hell" show.)

Quoting mamom01:

I was thinking hyperthyroid since it can cause hyperactivity in cats, but I am assumiing your vet did bloodwork in addition to a urinalysis when he was diagnosed with the UTI?

It's possible he's semi feral.  What kind of stimulation do you have for him in the house outside of the things you do not want him to destroy?

Quoting Anonymous:

he's just turned 2 and he saw the vet in July for a UTI and bc we couldn't get his fleas under control. He's an indoor only cat but our friend brought her dog over and they had some kind of mutant, incurable flea. We had to give him an oral pill and have the house professionally treated to get rid of them. I thought the fleas were the problem for a while bc we could not get rid of them and I can't imagine having something bite you all the time but other than not peeing on the floor it didn't chang his behavior.

Quoting mamom01:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he fixed?

mamom01
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Semi feral meaning his mother was likely feral. Not all cats raised as kittens that were born to feral mothers become completely domesticated.

Since you've done everything you could think of, I would certainly mention it to your vet again and go from there. Maybe she can recommend a good behaviorist for you?

Quoting Anonymous:

I've bought him just about every toy they make but he only seems to like the little balls with bells and the teasers. The doughnut with the bell in it just pisses him off. The vet checked everything when she saw him because I let her know about the behavior as well as the fleas. I don't want to put him on kitty mood enhancers. How can a cat that's lived inside his entire life be semi feral? But he does act semi feral. I can't wrap my head around it. I play with him a lot and so does SO. We have the cat tree where he can really run and jump onto it. I've rearanged our furniture so that he can walk around the entire living room with out going onto the table and with out touching the ground (I watch the "My cat from Hell" show.)

Quoting mamom01:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mamom01:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he fixed?

mamom01
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

*to you

I'm not implying you need a behaviorist.  :)

Quoting mamom01:

Semi feral meaning his mother was likely feral. Not all cats raised as kittens that were born to feral mothers become completely domesticated.

Since you've done everything you could think of, I would certainly mention it to your vet again and go from there. Maybe she can recommend a good behaviorist for you?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mamom01:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mamom01:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he fixed?

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have the means a puppy would work just as well. If you know anyone getting a kitten have them bring it over daily. He needs to learn cat skills from another cat and kittens are great for it. Puppies can help too. It is harder to socialize cats since they are more antisocial.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, I was wondering if that was a factor. I know that dogs learn a lot from their litter mates that are the core of their "manners." There aren't any cat classes or anything and he really doesn't seem to care for other cats or dog for that matter. 

Quoting firespurity:

Hm it is actually fairly common for bottle fed cats to have behavioral problems hard core. Have you socialized your cat with kittens?

Quoting Anonymous:

He just turned 2

Quoting firespurity:

How old is he?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he fixed?

bear.katten
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM
I just went through this. I had a cat that I'd had for 3 years and he was my baby (until my son was born) and he had seperation anxiety so when I went away for more than 24 hours he'd pee in the house. Then it started becoming his way of saying he was mad about something like if I hadnt pet him enough that day or if his litterbox hadnt been cleaned in a whole day (never did it before, just started it like 6 months ago) and I trained every suggestion I got to get him to stop and it wasnt working. SO hated him and we kept getting into fights because he wanted to get rid of him but I didnt. Finally after the baby came he got up on our diningroom table one night and pissed, right in the middle of the table!!! It got all over some books and our bills and was like an inch away from the diaper bag. It took 20 minutes to convince SO not to throw him outside! I found a home for him that day with a very nice couple who had no other pets or children and get updates from them and he is doing great! I cried for days but I did everything I could. The moment I got pregnant he changed, he just wasnt happy. His new owners tell me they havent found any pee and we havent found any more since he left. Everyone is much happier.

Now if I could just get my other cat to stay off the damn counters and table!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I don't know anyone who has a kitten and I'm kind of afraid that he'll hurt another cat. He's really rough with other animals, which is sort of indicative of his problem.

Quoting firespurity:

If you have the means a puppy would work just as well. If you know anyone getting a kitten have them bring it over daily. He needs to learn cat skills from another cat and kittens are great for it. Puppies can help too. It is harder to socialize cats since they are more antisocial.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting firespurity:

Quoting Anonymous:

He just turned 2

Quoting firespurity:

How old is he?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he fixed?

thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM

cats can be TRAINED

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I'm so glad they give you updates. Sometimes I get so frustrated that I think I'm ready to give up but then I can't. What if he wasn't happy? Where would he go? What if his new owners got rid of him? I'd worry about him. 

Quoting bear.katten:

I just went through this. I had a cat that I'd had for 3 years and he was my baby (until my son was born) and he had seperation anxiety so when I went away for more than 24 hours he'd pee in the house. Then it started becoming his way of saying he was mad about something like if I hadnt pet him enough that day or if his litterbox hadnt been cleaned in a whole day (never did it before, just started it like 6 months ago) and I trained every suggestion I got to get him to stop and it wasnt working. SO hated him and we kept getting into fights because he wanted to get rid of him but I didnt. Finally after the baby came he got up on our diningroom table one night and pissed, right in the middle of the table!!! It got all over some books and our bills and was like an inch away from the diaper bag. It took 20 minutes to convince SO not to throw him outside! I found a home for him that day with a very nice couple who had no other pets or children and get updates from them and he is doing great! I cried for days but I did everything I could. The moment I got pregnant he changed, he just wasnt happy. His new owners tell me they havent found any pee and we havent found any more since he left. Everyone is much happier.

Now if I could just get my other cat to stay off the damn counters and table!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN