Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why can't people live within their means?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Instead of down grading so they aren't broke all the time, they decide to stay in the house they can't afford, and keep the cars they can't afford and so on?  Why keep up with the debt?  Not being bitchy, but honestly curious. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
ripemango
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

why can't people mind their own business?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

well in my case i have a house that is worth $30,000 less than what we owe on it.  it has depreciated $70,000  in the past 4 years due to the market.  when my husband lost his job and found a new one we had to move.  he makes quite a bit less than he did at his last job.  now we are struggling to pay for a house we dont even live in since our renters dont pay half the time.

i would LOVE to sell and "downsize" our debt.  unfortunately that wont happen unless we foreclose.  fun times hey?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM
I can FINALLY afford my lifestyle. This is after my DH & I opened two businesses plus I work a full time job outside our businesses.
sunshinebebe26
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Bc everyone in this country feels like if someone else has something they should too! My dh and i both work our asses off to be able to afford our lifestyle and still save!!

JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Maybe they got locked into certain things. Like a more expensive apartment, cell phones, cable. Someone lost their job and they can't afford the cancellation fees. I really don't have an answer. Just pulling things out my ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I have never understood that either except for people want to out do others & that's how they think they can do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Because TV tells them to. Advertising is powerful magic on the weak minded.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Don't know, we can afford how we live. But it drives me nuts hen people assume we are living beyond our means. We have almost zero debt. Today we went to an event where our seats alone were $500/a piece. We were surrounded by people 15+ years older than us and several commented on how young kids don't know how to manage their money and put everything on credit. We paid cash for the entire trip.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Because we live in a consumerist culture where people are constantly bombarded by messages that they need things. Apple pretty much has this down to a science. They can make a few changes to their phone or tablet and release it as a new version and people line up to throw away a few hundred bucks on it.

Mama_Dolly
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

we live within our means.... I dont know how we do it.  we dont make much... but yet we still have cable internet, smartphone,  eat out etc and only debt is my student loan which is being paid off....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)