Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why can't people live within their means?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Instead of down grading so they aren't broke all the time, they decide to stay in the house they can't afford, and keep the cars they can't afford and so on?  Why keep up with the debt?  Not being bitchy, but honestly curious. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

That's a million dollar question!

JocelynsMama1
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

i agree....this is my number 1 pet peeve!

Sarafinn2012
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I don't understand it either. We have a decent vehicle, but not a nice one. We have a decent home, but not an amazingly large spectacular one. We have zero debt (except my student loans), never had credit cards.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM

As soon as my husband got laid off from his job, and had to settle for a min. wage job, we cut everything down. Now all we pay is rent, groceries, and medication. We still can't pay for everything. I have tried to give up being sick, but it hasn't worked. Illness doesn't understand brokeness. :(

Anonymous
i don't really have a choice.we need a car for school and work and we only had 1000 to put down so we couldnt get a beater.and were in the cheapest house around and we can still barely afford .our parents can't take us in
Anonymous
I have no means. Everytime I hear this I start to wonder what people would like to see me do.. I know it will change for me, but until then.. I know what your saying and completely agree that people really need to give themselves a reality check! But, my feeling when I see a bunch of people talking about living within their means I really just start thinking I don't have any right to live. It really sucks.
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Our mortgage is our only debt and we have a FFEF.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Some people dont have a choice. Some of us are forced into poverty via disability or domestic violence.

Others that CHOOSE to live above their means, I have no idea.

Lydlou02
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM
10k?? a year?? Is that two jobs, or is he making that little with 20h overtime?

Quoting jb022210:

how can we downsize anymore, we live in a house that has the cheapest rent (350 a month) a do not have tv, we have internet because i work from home, and before that i attending online college, we buy dollar tree everything, i mean seriously, we dont have cell phones or anything. yet we still struggle with my fiance working close to 60 hours a week. our annual income is barely over $10000. there is no more downsizing we barely have the nessecary furinture needed 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Grumpylilpixy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM

My vehicles are old and are paid off, or home has a mortgage but bought a house we can afford off a low income just incase.

We can take this place turn around and sell it  to put a down payment on a very expensive home. I always have a plan and a what if.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured