Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why can't people live within their means?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Instead of down grading so they aren't broke all the time, they decide to stay in the house they can't afford, and keep the cars they can't afford and so on?  Why keep up with the debt?  Not being bitchy, but honestly curious. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I do not want to relocate and make my kids unhappy.  New school, no friends, having to give up their extra curricular activities and teams.  It's a temporaty financial blip.  Yes I'd be better off moving further out or to a condo but we do manage financially just have to sacrifice and give up the things dh and I like to keep the kids happy. 

jb022210
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM

she works at dollar general for 7.25 an hour. she just started getting (in the past 2 weeks) this many hours before that she was getting about 30, and before dollar general she was working at a gas station/ restraunt as a cook for 7.25. taxes take over a hundred from each check, so much so that im scared to see her 60 hour paycheck because if they take a hundred out of a 40 hour paycheck they will take close to 2 hundred of a 20 hour overtime paycheck =(

Quoting brittany208:

Please tell me you forgot a zero. What does he do??

Quoting jb022210:

how can we downsize anymore, we live in a house that has the cheapest rent (350 a month) a do not have tv, we have internet because i work from home, and before that i attending online college, we buy dollar tree everything, i mean seriously, we dont have cell phones or anything. yet we still struggle with my fiance working close to 60 hours a week. our annual income is barely over $10000. there is no more downsizing we barely have the nessecary furinture needed 

brittany208
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Do you get a lot back in taxes? Can you adjust her withholding so you get more in each paycheck, and less back at tax time? Could you work too?

Quoting jb022210:

she works at dollar general for 7.25 an hour. she just started getting (in the past 2 weeks) this many hours before that she was getting about 30, and before dollar general she was working at a gas station/ restraunt as a cook for 7.25. taxes take over a hundred from each check, so much so that im scared to see her 60 hour paycheck because if they take a hundred out of a 40 hour paycheck they will take close to 2 hundred of a 20 hour overtime paycheck =(

Quoting brittany208:

Please tell me you forgot a zero. What does he do??

Quoting jb022210:

how can we downsize anymore, we live in a house that has the cheapest rent (350 a month) a do not have tv, we have internet because i work from home, and before that i attending online college, we buy dollar tree everything, i mean seriously, we dont have cell phones or anything. yet we still struggle with my fiance working close to 60 hours a week. our annual income is barely over $10000. there is no more downsizing we barely have the nessecary furinture needed 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM
How is one supposed to sell a house they can't afford when the value has been cut in half? Or do you suggest they just walk away and forget they owe the money. I would much rather my neighbors stayed and struggled a bit to honor the commitment they made to make the payments so that my home value does not plummet further.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I was laid off from a job that paid me $72k a year.  I now make $13.00 an hour.  Our car payments were easily within our means before the layoff and now we are struggling to pay both. We have considered getting rid of one, but owe more on both than they are worth - meaning we either roll negative equity from one vehicle into another (which won't help the payments much) or we suck it up until I can find a better job. 

nerdwithwords87
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this
WHat kind of job does your so have that he only makes like $3.33 an hour?

Quoting jb022210:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM
How is he making $3/hr?

Quoting jb022210:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM
That's us. Our home lost 40k of its vslue. My DHS wages were cut too. I literally cant downgrade unless I foreclose. I cant refinance or anything. Were stuck. Fun fun fun.

Quoting Anonymous:

well in my case i have a house that is worth $30,000 less than what we owe on it.  it has depreciated $70,000  in the past 4 years due to the market.  when my husband lost his job and found a new one we had to move.  he makes quite a bit less than he did at his last job.  now we are struggling to pay for a house we dont even live in since our renters dont pay half the time.

i would LOVE to sell and "downsize" our debt.  unfortunately that wont happen unless we foreclose.  fun times hey?

-ZombieGirl-
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I wonder the same thing. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM

we're in denial....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN