Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why can't people live within their means?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Instead of down grading so they aren't broke all the time, they decide to stay in the house they can't afford, and keep the cars they can't afford and so on?  Why keep up with the debt?  Not being bitchy, but honestly curious. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

cuz i work too damn hard to be this damn poor.....

jb022210
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM

she chose not to claim any dependants on her taxes, and i just started working a stay at home job, we live in bumfuck no where, and only have one vehicle and we cant/wont put our son in daycare but with her hours unless i worked 3rd shift it would be impossible anyhow without a second vehicle.

Quoting brittany208:

Do you get a lot back in taxes? Can you adjust her withholding so you get more in each paycheck, and less back at tax time? Could you work too?

Quoting jb022210:

she works at dollar general for 7.25 an hour. she just started getting (in the past 2 weeks) this many hours before that she was getting about 30, and before dollar general she was working at a gas station/ restraunt as a cook for 7.25. taxes take over a hundred from each check, so much so that im scared to see her 60 hour paycheck because if they take a hundred out of a 40 hour paycheck they will take close to 2 hundred of a 20 hour overtime paycheck =(

Quoting brittany208:

Please tell me you forgot a zero. What does he do??

Quoting jb022210:

how can we downsize anymore, we live in a house that has the cheapest rent (350 a month) a do not have tv, we have internet because i work from home, and before that i attending online college, we buy dollar tree everything, i mean seriously, we dont have cell phones or anything. yet we still struggle with my fiance working close to 60 hours a week. our annual income is barely over $10000. there is no more downsizing we barely have the nessecary furinture needed 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't know, we can afford how we live. But it drives me nuts hen people assume we are living beyond our means. We have almost zero debt. Today we went to an event where our seats alone were $500/a piece. We were surrounded by people 15+ years older than us and several commented on how young kids don't know how to manage their money and put everything on credit. We paid cash for the entire trip.

Exactly!!! Love how people ASSume this!  I have a similar lifestyle, no debt- (very choosy though how we are extravagant!)  We have paid cash for big trips, concerts too and know how it looks to others.  Don't care- not their business!!!  Jealous.  We still live within our means and have the common sense to know where the limit is.

jb022210
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM

she makes 7.25 an hour, but after taxes it doesnt come out like that, and she hasnt had this specific job for a year she just started it 2 months ago, before that it was a gas station restraunt that the hours flucuated, and up untill 2 weeks ago she only was get 30 hours at dollar general, she has worked minimum wage and factorys over the past 2 years, and by the end of the year around 10 k is our total earned income.

Quoting nerdwithwords87:

WHat kind of job does your so have that he only makes like $3.33 an hour?

Quoting jb022210:

how can we downsize anymore, we live in a house that has the cheapest rent (350 a month) a do not have tv, we have internet because i work from home, and before that i attending online college, we buy dollar tree everything, i mean seriously, we dont have cell phones or anything. yet we still struggle with my fiance working close to 60 hours a week. our annual income is barely over $10000. there is no more downsizing we barely have the nessecary furinture needed 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Why should people downgrade when they have worked HARD to get upgraded?

Isnt that the POINT of life? To get UP not DOWN?

I understand what you are saying but a lot of families cannot just SELL their house for the value they paid. Some are stuck with them. As for selling the fucking car hello WORK ANYONE? smh...

Anyhow.... Living within your means is not nearly the same as forcing to downgrade. A lot of people piss their money off on their kids buying unneccessary bullshit. That would be a good place to start.

jb022210
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

its 7.25 an hour but after taxes its much less, and she hasnt worked this job consistantly a year at 60 hours, she started this job 2 months ago before that she was a cook for a gasstation restraunt. and didnt get more than 30 hours, and her 60 hour weeks just started 2 weeks ago. but over the past 2 years she has worked factorys and minimum wage and at the end of the year it totals out to about 10k total earned

Quoting Anonymous:

How is he making $3/hr?

Quoting jb022210:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Ok, the way you originally stated it was very confusing. I'm sorry you are in that position. I hope things get better!

Quoting jb022210:

its 7.25 an hour but after taxes its much less, and she hasnt worked this job consistantly a year at 60 hours, she started this job 2 months ago before that she was a cook for a gasstation restraunt. and didnt get more than 30 hours, and her 60 hour weeks just started 2 weeks ago. but over the past 2 years she has worked factorys and minimum wage and at the end of the year it totals out to about 10k total earned

Quoting Anonymous:

How is he making $3/hr?

Quoting jb022210:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I don't get it either. I was just randomly watching sister wives and they decided to buy 4 houses. They admitted that would make them house poor and they would have to sacrifice everything but "the financial part is only a small part of it"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM
There has to be more to this story. At 60 hours a week, 10k is only about $3 an hour. What kind of work does your fiance do? And why are you not working to supplement?

Quoting jb022210:

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM

We owe nothing on our cars. We rent and have not gone on to buy because it would not be wise right now. I am currently filling out applications and such for jobs in my field in order to bring more income in the household.  Nothing has opened up as of yet.  We live very tight, so tight it is hard. BUT we don't buy new phones etc etc and while we could use better cars we are not going in debt to do so.  Our debt is mostly medical. We have no consumer debt and I have student loangs.  Our son was very sick and we are still paying off bills and trying to peck away at them. So that is why we are so tight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN