Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why can't people live within their means?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Instead of down grading so they aren't broke all the time, they decide to stay in the house they can't afford, and keep the cars they can't afford and so on?  Why keep up with the debt?  Not being bitchy, but honestly curious. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Because
IhartU
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Because other people make them feel like shit for not having everything they do. The majority of people care what others think- even though they may say they don't and to not be able to give yourselves or your children what richer people have will sometimes make you feel like a worthless parent and human being. That's why poor people have so much debt, commit crimes, have low self esteem and are not happy with what they have- it all boils down to being judged by others.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Thats my bil and sil they have 70 thousand dollars in credit card debt and just bought a new 20 thousand dollar car and expect her grandma and mom to constantly give them money and cry they cant afford groceries and whatnot. Its sad because they are incredibly materialistic and their kids are same way. This year grandparents said they weren't buying lots of presents they wanted to take all the kids on a trip and Her 8 year old daughter threw a huge fit all she wanted was presents and they better give her as many presents as they usually do. They always have to have latest everything so I don't feel bad for them when they complain they have no money but i do feel bad there kids are being taught how to be so materialistic
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM
How is it possible to only have an income of 10k a year. If he makes what $7 an hour and works 60 hour weeks. That comes to over 20k a year.

Quoting jb022210:

how can we downsize anymore, we live in a house that has the cheapest rent (350 a month) a do not have tv, we have internet because i work from home, and before that i attending online college, we buy dollar tree everything, i mean seriously, we dont have cell phones or anything. yet we still struggle with my fiance working close to 60 hours a week. our annual income is barely over $10000. there is no more downsizing we barely have the nessecary furinture needed 

auntietotty
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I dont understand it either. We have always lived within our means...whether we had no money...or enough.

We dont believe in going into debt just for the sake of having "stuff".

Why do people try to keep up with others just for the sake of appearances when they can't afford it?  No one would ever make me feel bad for not having something "good enough"...because I wouldnt allow that.

AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Some people are just financially ignorant. They were probably never taught to budget.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM

IDK... we are well within our means... good question

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:08 AM
I understand she doesn't want to feel punished for only having one kid but i think it should be about the family as a whole and whats the best for them all if the family cant afford it they can't afford it other wives were trying to figure how to make their house smaller to help with the budget but she still insisting on a huge house which is ridiculous she can have a nice house without having to have 7 bedroom

Quoting Anonymous:

haha I didn't catch that whole story line but I know there was drama surrounding her house size

Quoting Nicoleb9:

And didn't the wife with only one child insist on having a five bedroom home, too, because the other wives with more children were gonna have big homes and she didn't want to feel undeserving of a large house also? Crazyyyyyy!

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't get it either. I was just randomly watching sister wives and they decided to buy 4 houses. They admitted that would make them house poor and they would have to sacrifice everything but "the financial part is only a small part of it"

mummy24
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:08 AM

the people of today are part of the 'Peter Pan' generation.....not wanting to grow up...running up debts and enjoying their lives. I have never understood how people can be ok with being in debt, I hate owing out on my phone bill for longer than a week let alone having mounds of debt to contend with!!

brittany208
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:09 AM

If she claims no dependants on her W-whatever form, then they take more in taxes from each paycheck, which you get back when you claim your dependents on your taxes in April (or whenever you do them). If she claims them, she gets bigger paychecks back each week. You just have to find a good balance so you don't owe or get a big refund in April.

My DH claims all 3 of us on his taxes so he gets a bigger paycheck (which we live on). I work part time off and on, and I claim zero, so my check (which is just for extras anyways) goes to pay our taxes so we don't owe/get much extra.

Quoting jb022210:

she chose not to claim any dependants on her taxes, and i just started working a stay at home job, we live in bumfuck no where, and only have one vehicle and we cant/wont put our son in daycare but with her hours unless i worked 3rd shift it would be impossible anyhow without a second vehicle.

Quoting brittany208:

Do you get a lot back in taxes? Can you adjust her withholding so you get more in each paycheck, and less back at tax time? Could you work too?

Quoting jb022210:

she works at dollar general for 7.25 an hour. she just started getting (in the past 2 weeks) this many hours before that she was getting about 30, and before dollar general she was working at a gas station/ restraunt as a cook for 7.25. taxes take over a hundred from each check, so much so that im scared to see her 60 hour paycheck because if they take a hundred out of a 40 hour paycheck they will take close to 2 hundred of a 20 hour overtime paycheck =(

Quoting brittany208:

Please tell me you forgot a zero. What does he do??

Quoting jb022210:

how can we downsize anymore, we live in a house that has the cheapest rent (350 a month) a do not have tv, we have internet because i work from home, and before that i attending online college, we buy dollar tree everything, i mean seriously, we dont have cell phones or anything. yet we still struggle with my fiance working close to 60 hours a week. our annual income is barely over $10000. there is no more downsizing we barely have the nessecary furinture needed 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured